- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Compliance Corner February 2011
Compliance Pages: Home Page | Current Student Athletes | Prospective Student Athletes | Message From The Athletic Director | Alumni, Boosters, Fans & Friends | Student Athlete Handbook | Compliance Corner
Printed Recruiting Materials
As specified below, an institution may provide the following printed materials to prospective student-athletes, their parents or legal guardians, their coaches or any other individual responsible for teaching or directing an activity in which a prospective student-athlete is involved:
(a) General Correspondence. General correspondence may be sent only by mail, subject to the following provisions:
(1) The correspondence shall include a single sheet of institutional letterhead, which shall not exceed 8 1/2 by 11 inches in size;
(2) There are no restrictions on the design or content of one side of the single sheet of institutional letterhead. The opposite side shall be blank, except for text (typed or handwritten) used to communicate a message to the recipient and any other handwritten information;
(3) Additional pages of the correspondence shall be limited to plain white paper (not to exceed 8 1/2 by 11 inches in size) and black ink. The additional pages shall be blank, except for text (typed or handwritten) used to communicate a message to the recipient and any other handwritten information;
(4) Attachments to general correspondence may only include materials printed on plain white paper (not to exceed 8 1/2 by 11 inches in size) with black ink that are not created for recruiting purposes, except for other permissible printed materials (e.g., camp brochures, questionnaires);
(5) An envelope used to send the correspondence may only include the institution’s name and logo or an athletics logo (in addition to the postage, return address and addressee information) on the outside, must be blank on the inside when produced and may not exceed 9 by 12 inches; and
(6) All institutional staff members (e.g., faculty members, athletics department staff members and administrators) may prepare general correspondence. (Revised: 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10)
(b) Business Cards.
(c) Camp or Clinic Brochures. Brochures are not restricted by content or design, except that they must indicate that the camp or clinic is open to any and all entrants (limited only by number, age, grade level and/or gender. Brochures are restricted to a single two-sided sheet, not to exceed 17 by 22 inches in size when opened in full. Camp or clinic brochures may be provided to a prospective student-athlete at any time.
(d) Questionnaires. An institution may provide questionnaires to a prospective student-athlete at any time.
(e) Nonathletics Institutional Publications. An institution may provide nonathletics institutional publications available to all students at any time (e.g., official academic, admissions and student-services publications published by the institution and available to all students).
(f) NCAA Educational Material Published by the NCAA (e.g., NCAA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete). Such material may be provided to a prospective student-athlete at any time.
(g) Game Programs. Game programs (which may not include posters) may be provided to prospective student-athletes only during official and unofficial recruiting visits and may not be mailed.
(h) Pre-enrollment Information. Necessary pre-enrollment information regarding orientation, conditioning, academics and practice activities, may be provided to a prospective student-athlete, provided he or she has signed a National Letter of Intent or institutional financial aid agreement or has been officially accepted for enrollment.
(i) Institutional Note Cards. Institutional note cards may not exceed 8 1/2 by 11 inches when opened in full. In addition, such cards may only contain the institution’s name and logo or an athletics logo on the outside, must be blank on the inside (one side of the card when opened in full) when produced and may include only handwritten information (e.g., words, illustrations) on the inside when provided to the recipients
(j) Postcards. An institution may send an institutional postcard, provided its dimensions do not exceed 4 1/4 by 6 inches, it includes only the institution’s name and logo or an athletics logo on one side when produced and it includes only handwritten information, (e.g., words, illustrations) on the opposite side when provided to the recipients. Blank postcards issued by the U.S. postal service also may be sent.