- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Albany tops Women’s Tennis 4-3 on Friday
Kohtz and Tashiro produce victories on singles court; Bearcats in action Saturday at home
April 5, 2013Tweet
Albany, NY—Albany improved to 6-10 and 2-1 in conference play with a narrow 4-3 victory over the visiting Bearcats Friday afternoon from Varsity Court on the campus of UAlbany. Sara Kohtz and Alexis Tashiro picked up their second consecutive victories on the singles court for Binghamton who falls to 3-13 and 0-1 in conference play this season.
Albany slid past BU in doubles play with a pair of 8-6 victories from the one and two spots in their lineup. However, the Binghamton tandem of Missy Edelblum and Sara Kohtz improved to 4-9 together on the season, picking up a convincing 8-4 victory.
Kohtz and Tashiro started things off for the Bearcats with straight set victories to help their team jump ahead 2-1 early on in the match. Tashiro pulled out a 6-5,7-5 win over Kirsten Scott who entered Friday with a 5-8 duals record. Kohtz picked up her team-high sixth dual win of the season with a 6-0,6-3 triumph over Cheryl Kukkonen.
Binghamton’s lead would quickly be erased as the Great Danes reeled off three straight singles decisions to take the match. Freshman Shea Brodsky and Agatha Ambrozy pushed both their matches to a third and final set but were unable to make any ground as they lost 6-2 and 6-3 respectively in the final set. Edelblum completed her day undefeated, picking up a hard fought 6-2, 10-7 victory from the sixth position in BU’s lineup.
The Bearcats return to action on Saturday, hosting both Stony Brook and Hartford at the newly renovated tennis facility directly outside the Events Center. BU will face the Seawolves (6-3) at 9 am and the Hawks at 3 pm.
1) Scott-Hermans (UAlbany) def. Ambrozy-Medianik (Binghamton) 8-6**
2) Santos-Crummey (UAlbany) def. Brodsky-Tashiro (Binghamton) 8-6
3) Edelblum-Kohtz (Binghamton) def. Kukkonen-Iannone (UAlbany) 8-4
Order of finish: 3,2,1
**Clinched doubles point for UAlbany
1) Irene Santos (UAlbany) def. Katya Medianik (Binghamton) 6-4,7-6(5)
2) Alexis Tashiro (Binghamton) def. Kirsten Scott (UAlbany) 6-4,7-5
3) Sara Kohtz (Binghamton) def Cheryl Kukkonen (UAlbany) 6-0,6-3
4) Cat Crummey (UAlbany) def. Shea Brodsky (Binghamton) 6-3,6-7(6),6-2
5) Mireille Hermans (UAlbany) def. Agatha Ambrozy (Binghamton) 7-6(2),1-6,6-3$$
6) Missy Edelblum (Binghamton) def. Sarah Iannone (UAlbany) 6-2,10-7
Order of finish: 3,2,4,1,5,6
$$Clinched match for UAlbany