- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis beats Buffalo 4-3 for fifth straight win
Surging Bearcats have now won eight of last nine matches
April 14, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
VESTAL, N.Y.—Binghamton men’s tennis (13-9) continued its late-season surge with a 4-3 home win over Buffalo Sunday afternoon at the Bearcats Sports Complex. In turning back a good Bulls team (9-7), Binghamton won its fifth straight match and eighth in the last nine.
“It was another solid win against a good team,” head coach Adam Cohen said. “Our doubles play is showing signs of improvement and that’s going to be helpful moving forward. Doubles is always very important in tournament play. Unfortunately we lost a couple of close singles matches at the end but hopefully the guys can learn from them and be ready to come out strong next week in our final two home matches.”
The Bearcats swept the three doubles matches and won the first two singles matches to build a 3-0 lead. After Buffalo got on the board with a win at No. 1 singles, sophomore No. 3 Robin Lesage clinched the team win with his three-set triumph. It was his 19th singles win of the year.
Ahead 4-1, BU surrendered the final two matches after being up a set in each, tightening the final team score.
Junior No. 5 Ruben Haggai extended his win streak to 11 matches with a strong 6-1, 6-4 win. Haggai raised his season record to 19-9 overall. Freshman No. 1 Sid Hazarika lost for just the third time in 22 matches in a well-played three-set match at the top spot. Sophomore No. 4 Ismael Dinia recorded BU’s other singles win by a 6-4, 6-3 score.
Binghamton hosts Niagara on Wednesday and then welcomes Boston University on Saturday in the team’s regular-season finale.
Binghamton 4, Buffalo 3
1. Bastian Bornkessel/Hazarika (BU) Damien David/Ashwin Sharma (Buffalo), 8-2
2. Eliott Hureau/Haggai (BU) Hove/Jason Simon (Buffalo), 8-5
3. Lesage/Dinia (BU) def. Alvarez/Arevalillo (Buffalo), 8-1
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
1. Vusa Hove (Buffalo) def. Sid Hazarika (BU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. Damien David (Buffalo) def. Alexander Maisin (BU), 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Robin Lesage (BU) def. Pablo Alvarez (Buffalo), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
4. Ismael Dinia (BU) Pablo Arevalillo (Buffalo), 6-4, 6-3
5. Ruben Haggai (BU) def. Ashwin Sharma (Buffalo), 6-1, 6-4
6. Akhil Mehta (Buffalo) def. Eliott Hureau (BU), 6-7, 7-5 (10-4)
Order of Finish: 5,4,1,3,6,2