- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis beats Niagara 6-1
Bearcats sweep singles matches, claim sixth consecutive win
April 17, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (firstname.lastname@example.org)
VESTAL, N.Y.—Binghamton men’s tennis captured its sixth straight match with a 6-1 win over visiting Niagara Wednesday afternoon from the Bearcats Sports Complex. The Bearcats (14-9) have won nine of their last 10 matches.
Niagara seized the doubles point as BU started a bit sluggishly with losses at the top two positions. But the Bearcats returned to form in singles, winning the first three completed matches in straight sets and clinching the win with a three-set victory at No. 3.
Freshman No. 1 Sid Hazarika posted a 6-3, 6-3 win - his team-high 20th dual win of the spring (20-3). Hazarika is 9-1 since moving into the top singles position.
Junior No. 5 Ruben Haggai ran his win streak to 12 with a three-set win. Haggai (20-9 overall, 15-6 duals) dropped his opening set before roaring back for a 5-7, 6-2, 6-1 win.
“Give credit to Niagara ... they played better than us in doubles,” head coach Adam Cohen said. “It was good to see us come back and win five first sets in singles after giving up that doubles point. That gave us the momentum. We dropped a few second sets in the middle when we were in position to close out some matches so that’s something we will have to continue to work on. Robin (Lesage) and Ismael (Dinia) finished on better terms though, which was good to see. We now look forward to one more home match before the conference tournament next weekend,”
Binghamton will conclude its regular season with a home match against America East foe Boston University at 11 a.m. on Saturday. The team will then prepare for the upcoming America East Championship, April 27-28 at UMBC, where BU will be aiming for its sixth consecutive conference title and accompanying NCAA berth.
Binghamton 6, Niagara 1
1. Raymond/Dufour-Coursol (N) def. Bastian Bornkessel/Hazarika (BU), 8-5
2. Schwojer/Elortegui (N) def. Eliott Hureau/Aswin Nambi (BU), 8-4
3. Lesage/Dinia (BU) def. Lacasse/Gallegos (N), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
1. Sid Hazarika (BU) def. David Raymond (N), 6-3, 6-3
2. Alexander Maisin (BU) def. Michael Elortegui (N), 6-4, 6-2
3. Robin Lesage (BU) def. Olivier Dufour-Coursol (N), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Lorenz Schwojer (N), 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
5. Ruben Haggai (BU) def. Brandon Gallegos (N), 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
6. Florian van Kann (BU) def. Mathieu Lacasse (N), 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,2,6,3,4,5