- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis beats UMBC at home 5-2
Bearcats win 12th straight over America East rival
April 12, 2014Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
VESTAL, N.Y. - Binghamton men’s tennis (12-10) extended its win streak against its primary America East foe, defeating visiting UMBC 5-2 Saturday afternoon at the Bearcats Sports Complex.
Binghamton captured the doubles point and then won four of the six singles matches to post its 12th straight win over the Retrievers (11-9). The two programs are likely on a collision course in the America East finals, where they have met in each of the last four years, with BU winning all four titles.
The Bearcats won at the 3-6 singles positions - all in straight sets - to clinch the win.
Junior No. 3 Robin Lesage posted a dominant 6-1, 6-1 win to pace singles play. It was his 18th win of the season. Sophomore No. 5 Eliott Hureau notched his 20th win of the season with a 6-1, 6-4 victory. He has a team-high 13 dual match wins.
The Bearcats next hit the road for matches against Stony Brook and Hartford next Friday on Long Island before hosting Penn in the team’s regular-season finale on Saturday.
Binghamton 5, UMBC 2
1. Alexander Maisin/Aswin Nambi (BU) def. Justin Carter/Melker Svard (UMBC), 8-6
2. Alex Drean/Daniel Gray (UMBC) def. Eliott Hureah/Janik Burri (BU), 9-8
3. Sid Hazarika/Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Eliott Loubatie/Kamal Patel (UMBC), 8-2
1. Justin Carter (UMBC) def. Sid Hazarika (BU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. Melker Svard (UMBC) def. Alexander Maisin (BU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Robin Lesage (BU0 def. Alex Drean (UMBC), 6-1, 6-1
4. Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Eliott Loubatie (UMBC), 6-3, 6-2
5. Eliott Hureau (BU) def. Daniel Grfay (UMBC), 6-1, 6-4
6. Florian van Kann (BU) def. Kamal Patel (UMBC), 6-2, 6-4