- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis blanks Bucknell 7-0
Bearcats finish off perfect weekend, have now won 6 of last 7
April 7, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (firstname.lastname@example.org)
VESTAL, N.Y.—Binghamton men’s tennis shook off an early push from Bucknell and rolled to a 7-0 shutout over the visiting Bison (11-6) Sunday afternoon from the Bearcats Sports Complex. The Bearcats (11-9) rallied to capture the double point before winning all six singles matches. Head coach Adam Cohen’s squad completed its perfect 3-0 weekend and now has won six of its last seven matches.
With the doubles point riding on the final match at No. 2, BU’s tandem of junior Ruben Haggai and freshman Eliott Hureau rallied for an 8-6 win to give BU a quick 1-0 lead. Then the Bison held one-set leads in three of the early singles matches before BU sharpened its focus and finished off the match.
Freshman No. 1 Sid Hazarika rolled to a 6-4, 6-3 win - his 18th win in 20 collegiate matches. Hazarika improved to 7-0 at the top singles spot.
Haggai (17-9) also continued to shine, adding a singles win to his key doubles triumph. He dropped just two games in his straight-set win at No. 5 singles and has now won nine straight matches.
The Bearcats will face 2012 America East runnerup UMBC next Saturday in Baltimore before hosting regional foe Buffalo on Sunday.
Binghamton 7, Bucknell 0
1. Nick Bybel/Josh Katten (BUCK) def. Bastian Bornkessel/Hazarika (BING), 9-7
2. Haggai/Eliott Hureau (BING) def. Aidan Lynch/Ryan Marcil (BUCK), 8-6
3. Dinia/Lesage (BING) def. Octavio Canibe/Kelly Morque (BUCK), 8-1
1. Sid Hazarika (BING) def. Nick Bybel (BUCK), 6-4, 6-3
2. Alexander Maisin (BING) def. Kelly Morque (BUCK), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Robin Lesage (BING) def. Josh Katten (BUCK), 6-7, 6-1, (10-3)
4. Ismael Dinia (BING) def. Kyle Rosen (BUCK), 6-3, 6-0
5. Ruben Haggai (BING) def. Octavio Canibe (BUCK), 6-1, 6-1
6. Janik Burri (BING) def. Aidan Lynch (BUCK), 3-6, 6-4, 6-2