- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis blanks Hartford 4-0 to advance
Bearcats cruise into America East finals, will face host UMBC Sunday morning
April 26, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
BALTIMORE, Md.—Top-seeded Binghamton men’s tennis (15-9) rolled over fourth-seeded Hartford 4-0 in the America East semifinals Friday afternoon from the UMBC Retriever Tennis Complex. Aiming for the program’s sixth consecutive conference title and adjoining NCAA berth, the Bearcats will face host and second-seeded UMBC in the championship finals Sunday morning beginning at 10 a.m. It will be a rematch of last year’s final, which BU won 4-1. Binghamton has defeated UMBC in the finals four times during its championship streak.
The Bearcats made quick work of the doubles, grabbing the opening point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3. Senior Bastian Bornkessel and freshman Sid Hazarika won 8-4 at the top spot and the tandem of sophomores Robin Lesage and Ismael Dinia was even less accommodating with an 8-0 win at No. 3. The second doubles team led their match 7-2 before being halted after the doubles point was clinched.
In singles, junior No. 5 Ruben Haggai extended his win streak to 13 with a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Freshman No. 2 Alexander Maisin rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 win for his 18th triumph of the year and Dinia posted a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 4 to give BU the three points necessary to move on.
UMBC defeated third-seeded Stony Brook 4-1 in the other semifinal.
America East Semifinals
No. 1 Binghamton 4, No. 4 Hartford 0
1. Bastian Bornkessel/Hazarika (BU) defeated Badenko/Sharwarko (H), 8-4
2. Haggai/Eliott Hureau (BU) led Isaacson/Nedelcu (H), 7-2
3. Lesage/Dinia (BU) defeated Ureta/Montes (H), 8-0
1. Jordan Badenko (H) led Sid Hazarika (BU) 5-3
2. Alexander Maisin (BU) defeated Josh Isaacson (H), 6-1, 6-1
3. Robin Lesage (BU) led Nicholas Sharwarko (H), 6-2, 3-3
4. Ismael Dinia (BU) defeated Luis Montes (H), 6-2, 6-0
5. Ruben Haggai (BU) defeated Bogdan Nedelcu (H), 6-0, 6-1
6. Florian van Kann (BU) led Edgardo Ureta (H), 6-1, 5-0