- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis competes in events at Tulsa, Virginia
Hureau wins three matches at UVa. Classic; Dinia beats ranked foe in Tulsa
October 7, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
VESTAL, N.Y. - Binghamton men’s tennis sent two individuals to Tulsa for the ITA All-American Championship and had four more players compete at the University of Virginia Fall Classic over the weekend.
In Tulsa, sophomore Sid Hazarika and junior Ismael Dinia took part in the prestigious and invite-only ITA event, played at University of Tulsa’s Michael D. Case Tennis Center. Hazarika dropped his two singles matches, including a tough three-setter to Alexandru Ghilea of Oklahoma in the first round of qualifying.
But Dinia, inserted into the singles consolation draw, knocked off 72nd-ranked Hernus Pieters of powerful Georgia, 7-6 (4), 6-1, in his only singles match of the tournament. Pieters is a reigning All-American for the 2013 NCAA semifinalist Bulldogs. The two players had previously squared off during the 2013 NCAA first-round match between the two programs last May, with Pieters leading 6-3, 4-2 when their match was halted after Georgia clinched the team win. The triumph was Dinia’s second over a ranked player this fall. Two weeks ago at Virginia, he rolled to a straight-set win over 51st-ranked and second-seeded Harrison Richmond of Virginia, 7-5, 6-4.
In doubles, Hazarika and Dinia opened with an 8-7 (14-12) win over a pair from Tennessee before losing to the third-seeded team from Ohio State, 8-1.
At Virginia, sophomore Eliott Hureau had the most success of the BU quartet, winning three of his four singles matches. Hureau grabbed fifth place in his bracket with a 6-7, 6-4, 10-3 win over Rami Labna of Penn State.
ITA All-American Championship
- lost to Alexandru Ghilea (Okla), 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-0
- lost to Diego Galeano (Baylor), 6-2, 6-2
- defeated No. 72 Hernus Pieters (Ga.), 7-6 (4), 6-1
- defeated Caplin/Kerner (Tenn.), 8-7 (14-12)
- lost to (3) Kobelt/Metka (Ohio State), 8-1
UVa. Fall Classic
- lost to Nicky Kunz (Wake Forest), 6-2, 6-3
- lost to Jai Corbett (Va. Tech), 6-2, 6-2
- defeated (2) Roger Ordeig (ETSU), walkover
- defeated Dan Elston (Longwood), 6-4, 6-4
- defeated Chris Borden (GMU), 6-1, 6-2
- lost to (1) Diego Nunez (ETSU), 2-6, 6-3, 7-6
- lost to Nick Bybel (Bucknell), 6-4, 6-0
- lost to Roman Samed (Coastal Carolina), 6-4, 6-4
- defeated (4) Egon Samaii (Liberty), 6-1, 6-7, 6-4
- lost to Damon Niguet (W&M), 6-4, 7-6
- defeated Nic Wilson (Va. Tech), 6-4, 7-5
- lost to Will Juggins (W&M), 6-3, 6-4
Eliott Hureau (3)
- defeated Mateo Cevallos (Longwood), 6-2, 6-3
- lost to Dylan Brown (Cornell), 6-3, 6-4
- defeated Josh Record (Charleston), 6-3, 6-3
- defeated Rami Labna (Penn State), 6-7, 6-4, 10-3
- defeated Barker/Borden (GMU), 8-2
- lost to (2) McCourt/Davies (Princeton), 8-4
- lost to Pabon/Knox (ETSU), 8-7
- defeated Branth/Kathol (JMU), 8-5
- lost to Banks/Hoogland (W&M), 8-7
- lost to Scheinman/Richmond (uvA.), 8-3