- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis defeats Lehigh 5-2
Bearcats grab doubles point, win four of six singles matches
February 25, 2012Tweet
BETHLEHEM, Pa.—Binghamton men’s tennis evened its spring record at 5-5 with a 5-2 win over host Lehigh Sunday afternoon indoors at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Bearcats captured the doubles point before winning four of the six singles contests against the Mountain Hawks (6-3).
In doubles play, Lehigh started fast with an 8-2 win over BU’s No. 2 pair. But the Bearcats picked up a win at No. 3 doubles as Ismael Dinia and Alexandre Haggai won 8-4 over junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Timur Chernykh. The doubles point came down to the No. 1 spot, where Bastian Bornkessel and Ruben Devos edged Goldberg and freshman Mitchell Petersen 9-7 to give Binghamton an early 1-0 lead.
Binghamton extended its lead at No. 6 singles as Ruben Haggai downed freshman DJ Goldblum in straight sets. Alexandre Haggai followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Petersen to put the Bearcats on the verge of clinching the match. After a loss at No. 1, BU clinched the match at No. 5 singles as Dinia won 6-4, 7-5 over Krentz. Krentz was serving for the set but Dinia rallied to win the final three games.
The Bearcats next host Illinois State and Dartmouth on Friday and Saturday, respectively, at the Binghamton Tennis Center.
Binghamton 5, Lehigh 2
1. Bornkessel/Divos (BU) def. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) 9-7
2. Gilman/Savran (LU) def. Lesage/R. Haggain (BU) 8-2
3. Dinia/A. Haggai (BU) def. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) 8-4
1. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Ruben Devos (BU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alexandre Haggai (BU) def. Mitchell Petersen (LU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Bastian Bornkessel (BU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Robin Lesage (BU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Ruben Haggai (BU) def. DJ Goldblum (LU) 6-0, 6-2