- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis splits matches at Yale
Bearcats fall to No. 51 Yale 5-2, blank St. Bonaventure 7-0
March 23, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
NEW HAVEN, Conn.—Binghamton men’s tennis (6-8) split two matches Saturday at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center. The Bearcats began the day with a 5-2 loss to No. 51 Yale and finished it with a 7-0 win over St. Bonaventure.
In the opening match, the nationally-ranked Bulldogs (12-3) captured the doubles point in two tightly-contested matches before winning four of the six singles matches to claim the 5-2 win.
Freshman No. 2 Sid Hazarika provided his strongest win of his promising collegiate career with a straight-set win over Marc Powers - a senior who was ranked as high as No. 62 in the country last season and is one of the top players in the Northeast.
Junior Ruben Haggai also scored a win at No. 6 singles. Haggai dropped the opening set before rallying for a 9-7 win in the third set super tiebreak.
The Bearcats played three close doubles matches, including a narrow 8-6 loss to the nationally-ranked top duo of the Bulldogs.
Against the Bonnies, BU won every match to record the shutout.
Hazarika (12-2) moved up to the top spot and dropped just two games in his straight-set match.
No. 51 Yale 5, Binghamton 2
1. #59 Daniel Hoffman/Marc Powers (Y) def. Bastian Bornkessel/Ismael Dinia (BU), 8-6
2. John Huang/Patrick Chase (Y) led Eliott Hureau/Sidhartha Hazarika (BU) 7-6 DNF
3. Zach Dean/Matt Saiontz (Y) def. Ruben Haggai/Robin Lesage (BU), 8-6
1. John Huang (Y) def. Alexander Maisin (BU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Sidhartha Hazarika (BU) def. Marc Powers (Y), 7-5, 6-3
3. Daniel Hoffman (Y) def. Robin Lesage (BU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Martin Svenning (Y) def. Eliott Hureau (BU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Zach Dean (Y) def. Ismael Dinia (BU), 5-7, 6-4, 1-0(6)
6. Ruben Haggai (BU) def. Kyle Dawson (Y), 5-7, 6-3, 1-0(7)
Binghamton 7, St. Bonaventure 0
1. Bastian Bornkessel/Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Luis Guevara/Oscar Yanez (St. Bona), 8-4
2. Eliott Hureau/Sidhartha Hazarika (BU) led Elliot Fanshel/Javier Ortiz (St. Bona), 7-4 Unfinished
3. Ruben Haggai/Robin Lesage (BU) def. Trevor Haskell/Gabriel Cardenas (St. Bona), 8-2
1. Sidhartha Hazarika (BU) def. Oscar Yanez (St. Bona), 6-0, 6-2
2. Alexander Maisin (BU) def. Elliot Fanshel (St. Bona), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
3 Eliott Hureau (BU) def. Luis Guevara (St. Bona), 7-5, 2-6, 10-0
4. Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Javier Ortiz (St. Bona), 6-2, 6-1
5. Ruben Haggai (BU) def. Celso de vera Rehberger (St. Bona), 6-2, 6-0
6. Florian van Kann (BU) def. Gabriel Cardenas (St. Bona), 6-1, 6-2