- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis edged by Cleveland State 4-3
Bearcats go 1-1 in season-opening weekend
January 27, 2013
WESTLAKE, Ohio—Binghamton men’s tennis (1-1) lost a pair of three-set singles matches and came up on the short end of a 4-3 match against host Cleveland State (1-3) Sunday afternoon at the Paramount Tennis Club.
The Vikings captured the doubles point before the teams split the six singles contests, with Cleveland State breaking a 3-3 tie with the deciding match at the number one spot.
Freshman Alexander Maisin and Sid Hazarika won their matches for a second straight day at third and fifth singles, respectively. Maisin battled back after dropping his first set and pulled out a win in a tiebreak. Hazarika lost just one game in a commanding win. Sophomore Ismael Dinia recorded BU’s other singles win with a straight-set triumph at No. 4.
Hazarika and classmate Eliott Hureau notched Binghamton’s lone doubles win with an 8-5 score at No. 3. But the Vikings took the other two doubles matches to secure the pivotal opening point.
“It was a tough loss for us,” head coach Adam Cohen said. “They got the doubles point, which is always very important. We won the first set in four of the six singles matches but give Cleveland State credit for coming back. We’ll take something away from this match and get ready for next weekend at Brown.”
The Bearcats face 51st-ranked Brown and also Quinnipiac on Saturday in Providence.
Cleveland State 4, Binghamton 3
1. VAN DER VLOET, Jorg (CSU) def. LESAGE, Robin (BING) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
2. KUELKER, Matt (CSU) def. van KANN, Florian (BING) 6-1, 6-4
3. MAISIN, Alexander (BING) def. SHABIB, Ali (CSU) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6
4. DINIA, Ismael (BING) def. VANMETER, Joe (CSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. HAZARIKA, S. (BING) def. FORD, Matt (CSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. JONSSON, Niklas (CSU) def. HAGGAI, Ruben (BING) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. SHABIB, Ali/JONSSON, Niklas (CSU) def. BORNKESSEL, Bastian/DINIA, Ismael (BING) 8-6
2. MARKS, Nolan/VANMETER, Joe (CSU) def. LESAGE, Robin/HAGGAI, Ruben (BING) 8-7
3. HAZARIKA, S./HUREAU, Eliott (BING) def. FORD, Matt/KUELKER, Matt (CSU) 8-5
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 5, 2, 4, 6, 3, 1