- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis handles UMBC 6-1 on road
Bearcats win for seventh time in last 8 matches, notch 12th win of season
April 13, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
BALTIMORE, Md.—Binghamton men’s tennis (12-9) continued to flex its muscle against conference opponents, rolling to a 6-1 win over UMBC Saturday afternoon at the UMBC Tennis Complex. It was a rematch of the 2012 America East championship final, which BU claimed 4-1.
In downing its third straight America East opponent, the Bearcats put themselves in position to gain the top seed for the conference tournament later this month in its quest a sixth consecutive league crown. Binghamton has now won four matches in a row and seven of its last eight.
After capturing the doubles point with wins at the top two positions, BU won at the top five singles positions for its winning margin. Three of the singles wins required three sets, however.
Freshman No. 1 Sid Hazarika improved to 19-2 overall with a straight-set win. Hazarika is a perfect 8-0 at the top singles spot. Classmate Alex Maisin dropped his opening set before roaring back for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 triumph at second singles. Sophomore Robin Lesage earned a tight three-set win at No. 3 and sophomore Ismael Dinia also was pushed to a third set. Junior No. 5 Ruben Haggai won his 10th straight match, 6-4, 6-4.
“We came out on top in three of the four three-setters, which was crucial,” head coach Adam Cohen said. “We’re glad to get the win on the road against a good team. We are expecting another tough match tomorrow against a good Buffalo team.”
The Bearcats will host in-state rival Buffalo at 2 p.m. on Sunday at the team’s newly-refurbished complex.
Binghamton 6, UMBC 1
1. Bastian Bornkessel/Hazarika (BU) def. Carter/Berret (UMBC), 8-6
2. Eliott Hureau/Haggai (BU) def. Svard/Loubatie (UMBC), 8-3
3. Gray/Drean (UMBC) def. Lesage/Dinia (BU), 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Sid Hazarika (BU) def. Justin Carter (UMBC), 6-4, 6-4
2. Alexander Maisin (BU) def. Melker Svard (UMBC), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Robin Lesage (BU) def. Alex Drean (UMBC), 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
4. Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Gaulthier Berret (UMBC), 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
5. Ruben Haggai (BU) def. Eliott Loubatie (UMBC), 6-4, 6-4
6. Daniel Gray (UMBC) def. Florian van Kann (BU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-4