- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis beats Toledo 4-3 to open season
Bearcats win four of six singles matches to overcome early deficit
January 26, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
MAUMEE, Ohio—Binghamton men’s tennis opened its spring season with a 4-3 win over Toledo Saturday afternoon from the Shadow Valley Tennis Club.
Playing after only a few days of practice, the Bearcats (1-0) surrendered the doubles point before rattling off four singles wins to ground the Rockets (4-3), who already had six matches in the books this season.
“It was a good win on the road against a solid team, head coach Adam Cohen said. “We’ve only had five days of practice coming in so it was a good result for us. Hopefully we can build on this for tomorrow’s match against a good Cleveland state team.”
Sophomore Robin Lesage posted a 6-4, 6-4 win at the top spot. He improved to 6-3 this year. Freshman Alexander Maisin notched a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles for his team-high seventh win of the year. The Bearcats also got wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles to clinch the win before Toledo wrapped up the day with inconsequential wins at No. 2 and No. 4 singles.
Freshman Sid Hazarika kicked off his promising collegiate career with a 6-2, 6-1 win at fifth singles and junior Ruben Haggai rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 victory at the No. 6 spot.
On Sunday, BU will face Cleveland State at 11 a.m. at the Paramount Tennis Club in Westlake, Ohio. The Vikings finished runnerup at the 2012 Horizon League Championship.
Binghamton 4, Toledo 3
1. Tomas Stillman/Nicholas Wong (T) def. Ismael Dinia/Bastian Bornkessel (BU), 8-6
2. Robin Lesage/Ruben Haggai (BU) susp. 6-6
3. Francisco Stuardo/Grant Adams (T) def. Sid Hazarika/Eliott Hureau (BU), 8-4
1. Lesage (BU) def. Stillman (T), 6-4, 6-4
2. Stuardo (T) def. Florian van Kann (BU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Alex Maisin (BU) def. Adams (T), 6-4, 6-2
4. Wong (T) def. Dinia (BU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Hazarika (BU) def. Terence Weigand (T), 6-2, 6-1
6. Haggai (BU) def. Ben Brocker (T), 6-1, 6-1