- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis edged by Temple in season opener 4-3
Bearcats capture doubles point but drop four of six singles matches
January 29, 2012Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (firstname.lastname@example.org)
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – Binghamton men’s tennis opened its spring campaign with a 4-3 loss to visiting Temple indoors late Sunday night from the Binghamton Tennis Center. The Bearcats won the doubles point before dropping four of six singles matches to the Owls, who were picked to finish second in the Atlantic 10.
Freshman Robin Lesage made a strong debut for the Bearcats. The first-year player from France, who came to Binghamton this month, won his third-singles match in straight sets. Senior Rafael Rodrigues was BU’s other singles winner, battling to a three-set win at No. 6.
The Bearcats, under sixth-year head coach Adam Cohen, have won four straight America East titles and have advanced to the NCAA Championship in seven of the last nine years. Cohen, a three-time conference coach of the year, has steered the program to the top echelon in the Northeast. The Temple match is the first of 24 scheduled matches in the three-month spring campaign. The season culminates in the America East Championship, which will begin April 27 at the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing.
Binghamton next travels to Brown for matches against the host Bears, Quinnipiac and Bryant next weekend.
1. A. Haggai/Dinia (BU) def. F. Rams/K. Rams (T), 9-8
2. Devos/Bornkessel (BU) def. Gishkaev/Hairston (T) 8-5
3. Vizhunov/Marquart (T) def. R. Haggai/Lesage (BU), 8-6
1. Filip Rams (T) def. Alexandre Haggai (BU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Kacper Rams (T) def. Ruben Devos (BU), 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
3. Robin Lesage (BU) def. Dmitry Vizhunov (T), 6-4, 6-1
4. Kristian Marquart (T) def. Ismael Dinia (BU), 6-7, 7-6, 6-1
5. Mansur Gishkaev (T) def. Bastian Bornkessel (BU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Rafael Rodrigues (BU) def. Taylor Hairston (T), 5-7, 7-5, 7-6