- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s Tennis Powers Past UMBC 5-1 Saturday Afternoon
Bearcats have won three straight
April 14, 2012Tweet
Apalachin, NY—The Binghamton men’s tennis team cruised to a 5-1 win over UMBC Saturday afternoon at nearby Tioga Hills Elementary. The Bearcats (10-11) have now won three straight matches and improve their all-time series record to 11-3 versus the Retrievers.
BU started off strong, sweeping the first three doubles matches, highlighted by a 8-5 grind-it-out victory from the duo of senior Alexandre Haggai and freshman Ismael Dinia. Haggai and Dinia have won three consecutive matches from the no. 2 spot.
Haggai kept things rolling for the home squad with a quick 6-2, 6-0 singles victory in the opening matchup. He now is 13-15 on the season and has 67 career victories. Binghamton’s newcomers came up huge for the Bearcats, receiving victories from freshmen Dinia, Robin Lesage and lastly Ruben Haggai, who closed out the scoring with a 6-4, 6-3. Dinia improves his team-best record to 22-13, including 12-9 during dual matches. The sixth and final singles match was suspended due to rain as freshman Florian van Kann led 7-5, 1-1 before play was called.
BU is back in action Wednesday as they take the quick trip to Hamilton, NY to take on Colgate at 4 p.m.
Binghamton 5, UMBC 1
1.Bornkessel/Devos (BU) def. Amorim/Hodel (UMBC) 8-2
2. A. Haggai/Dinia (BU) def. Aranzazu/Gray (UMBC) 8-5
3. Lesage/R. Haggai (BU) def. Adewumi/Patel (UMBC) 8-1
1. A. Haggai (BU) def. Hodel (UMBC) 6-2 ,6-0
2. Adewumi (UMBC) def. R. Devos (BU) 7-6, 5-7 (6-10)
3. Dinia (BU) def. Aranzazu (UMBC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Lesage (BU) def. Berret (UMBC) 6-2, 6-3
5. R. Haggai (BU) def. Gray (UMBC) 6-4, 6-3
6. van Kann (BU) & Patel (UMBC) No Decision 7-5, 1-1 (cancelled due to rain)