- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Reed helping lay foundation for basketball success
Men's basketball phenom is AE Rookie of Week, subject of WBNG-TV feature
February 25, 2013Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (firstname.lastname@example.org)
VESTAL, N.Y.—Binghamton first-year head coach Tommy Dempsey has a big building block in place as he begins to rebuild the Bearcats’ men’s basketball program.
Freshman standout Jordan Reed leads the entire America East in both scoring (16.8 ppg.) and rebounding (9.5 rpg.) and earned his sixth weekly honor of the season with another top rookie selection on Monday.
Reed poured in game-highs of 24 points and 16 rebounds in BU’s 68-56 loss at New Hampshire on Saturday - his fourth straight double-double and league-leading 12th of the season.
WNBG-TV sat down with Reed recently to discuss his rookie season and both his and the program’s bright future.
“This is an up-and-coming place,” Reed told WBNG’s Gabe Osterhout. “I definitely invested in Binghamton and I know this investment will be worth a lot.”
Dempsey also spoke of the excitement of reinvigorating the program with young talent.
“Kids want to make an impact in their college programs and I also think kids want to play right away,” he said. “I think there’s opportunity to play right away here and we’ve tried to sell our vision of what we think the program’s going to be like. We’ve been able to get a good group of kids bought into that.”
Reed 2012-13 Accomplishments (as of Feb. 25)
• Leading scorer (16.8 ppg.) and rebounder (9.5 rpg.) in America East
• Bidding to become first freshman in 34-year history of conference to lead in both statistical categories
• Only four other players in league history have led league in both scoring and rebounding and all went on to play professionally:
Reggie Lewis, Northeastern, 1985-86, junior season
Greg Smith, Delaware, 1996-97, senior season
Taylor Coppenrath, Vermont, 2004-05, senior season
Marqus Blakely, Vermont, 2007-08, sophomore season
• Leads America East with 12 double-doubles (4 in a row)
• Ranks 16th in nation in double-doubles (1st among guards and 2nd among freshmen) and 26th in rebounds
• Has highest rebound average in nation among players 6-foot-4 or smaller and third-most among guards
• Ranks 7th in NCAA in scoring and 2nd in rebounding among freshmen
• Set school freshman scoring record (421 pts.) and is 5 away from setting school all-class rebound record (currently at 237)
• In last 5 games is averaging 20.2 points and 12.6 rebounds
• Has 7 games with 20 or more points and 3 games with 15 or more rebounds
• Six-time America East Rookie of the Week (school record)
• Has led Binghamton in scoring in 20 of 25 games played
• Has scored in double figures in 24 of 25 games played
• Broke school’s single-game rebound record with 18 rebs. vs. St. Peter’s on Nov. 18 (3rd collegiate game)
• Produced 15 points and 11 rebounds in collegiate debut vs. Navy on Nov. 14
• Broke school’s single-game offensive rebound record with 10 offensive rebounds vs. Maine on Feb. 16
• Broke school’s single-game defensive rebound record with 14 defensive rebounds vs. New Hampshire on Feb. 23
• Scored season-high 29 points vs. Maine on Feb. 16
• Averaging 34.9 minutes per game (3rd in America East)
• Has hit 9 or more FG in five games including season-high 10 vs. Monmouth (Dec. 3) and 10 vs. Maine (Jan. 19)
• Converted 9 or more FT four times, including season-high 11 (11-of-15) vs. Maine (Feb. 16) and 9-of-9 accuracy vs. Boston University (Feb. 9)
• Had season-high 5 assists vs. Hartford (Feb. 6) and New Hampshire (Feb. 23)
• Shooting 42% from inside arc for season