- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Men’s tennis loses to No. 70 St. John’s 5-2
Dinia and van Kann post singles wins in home opener
April 10, 2014Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
VESTAL, N.Y. - Binghamton men’s tennis pushed No. 70 St. John’s to the final two matches - both three-setters - but came up short in a 5-2 loss to the Red Storm Thursday afternoon at the Bearcats Sports Complex. The match against the nationally-ranked Red Storm marked the home debut (outdoors) for the six-time reigning America East champions.
The Bearcats (11-10) surrendered the doubles point after a narrow loss at the top spot. In singles, BU got two quick straight-set wins from junior Ismael Dinia and senior Florian van Kann to tighten the match. Trailing 3-2 with the final two matches (at Nos. 1 and 4) extending to third sets, the Bearcats needed both to swing in their favor but instead St. John’s prevailed for the 5-2 margin.
Dinia noched his 14th win of the season with his 7-5, 6-2 triumph at No. 5. Van Kann improved to 7-3 in the spring with his 7-5, 6-0 win at sixth singles.
Binghamton next hosts America East rival UMBC at 2 p.m. on Saturday. The Bearcats have defeated UMBC in each of the last four conference championship matches.
No. 70 St. John’s 5, Binghamton 2
1. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJ) def. Sid Hazarika (BU), 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
2. Erick Reyes (SJ) def. Robin Lesage (BU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Vaidik Munshaw (SJ) def. Alexander Maisin (BU), 6-3, 7-5
4. Robert Livi (SJ) def. Eliott Hureau (BU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJ), 7-5, 6-2
6. Florian van Kann (BU) def. Gary Kushnirovich (SJ), 7-5, 6-0
1. #77 R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJ) def. Alexander Maisin/Aswin Nambi (BU), 8-6
2. Michael-John Every/Robert Livi (SJ) def. Eliott Hureau/Janik Burri (BU), 8-1
3. Sid Hazarika/Ismael Dinia (BU) led #58 Vaidik Munshaw/Lucas Hejhal (SJ), 7-5 susp.