Follow us: twitter facebook youtube rss
Bearcats logo
Bearcats logo

Sleep not included: Cimino’s 72-hour Daily Journal

May 12, 2014

Sleep not included: Cimino’s 72-hour Daily Journal

Feature article

By John Hartrick (

The following is a 72-hour journal written by women’s basketball coach Linda Cimino, detailing her hectic 72-hour transition from head coach and administrator at Caldwell College to her start at Binghamton.

TUESDAY, April 8
10 p.m. – Get word from Binghamton that I “passed” my background check
Midnight – Lights out 
5 a.m.  – Wake up (5 hours of sleep) and make 90-minute drive from Massaequa, Long Island to Caldwell (N.J.)
6:30 a.m. – Arrive at Caldwell and get workout in at Fitness Center (NOTE: Cimino was in the midst of a 125-day fitness challenge of performing at least 30 minutes of exercise every day)
8 a.m. – Shower and get ready for the day
9 a.m. – Meet with Caldwell AD Mark Corino and put a plan in place to tell the women’s basketball staff, team and administration (NOTE: Cimino was an associate AD at Caldwell in addition to her coaching role)
10 a.m. – Call my mom, sister and my closest friends 
11 a.m. – Meet with athletics department at Caldwell and announce my departure
11:45 a.m. – Call my basketball staff to schedule a meeting for 7:30 p.m.
Noon – Have lunch in cafeteria with staff
12:30 p.m. – Chat with parent of one of my Caldwell players, who was in the neighborhood and stopped into my office to say “hi”
1-2 p.m. – Attend a communications class on campus to assist one of my players, Nicole Angelo, for her class project, which was to conduct a live radio interview. This was very difficult because the subject matter was the future of the Caldwell program and I hadn’t told the team yet. I had decided that since this was a very important project for Nicole’s grade in the class, I wanted her to do great and not be distracted, so I didn’t tell her at the time. It was so hard knowing I was leaving but needing to talk to her as if I was staying. Thankfully, after I told the team, she understood why I had to do that.
2:30-6 p.m. – Return to my office and organize all my files, complete some unfinished work and show my AD how to do the things I was responsible for (NOTE: Cimino was a jack-of-all-trades at Caldwell. In addition to her coaching and administrative roles, she handled the equipment room, lined the athletic fields and was one of the most visible people at home events)

6-7:15 p.m. – Drive to the mall to buy a green shirt for the Binghamton press conference
7:30 p.m. – Eat pizza with my assistant coaches and tell them I was leaving
8-8:45 p.m. – Meet with team. This was very hard … lots of tears. I told them “We all have dreams and this is mine.”
9-10 p.m. – Meet with two players separately
10 p.m. – 2 a.m. – Clean out office and bring all my personal stuff to car and storage closet
2:15 a.m. – Go down the street to sleep at a friend’s apartment

THURSDAY, April 10
6 a.m. – Arrive at Caldwell (3 ½ hours of sleep)
6:10-7:10 a.m. – Work out
8:30 a.m. – Clean out personal stuff from coaches’ locker room and visit with staff, contact remaining “inner circle” who I hadn’t spoken to yet
10 a.m. – Meet with AD to tie up loose ends, handle administrative tasks
10:30 a.m. -12:45 p.m. – Organize equipment room, uniforms, label items for next person. Wash and lay out my personal Caldwell gear for other department colleagues to choose from
1 p.m. – Meet with Caldwell College President and Vice President (with my AD)
1:30 p.m. – Meet with human resources and another VP to give letter or resignation, review payroll, insurance details
2-4 p.m. – Get manicure and have hair blown out for press conference
4 p.m. Begin drive to Binghamton (2 hours, 20 minutes) – during drive called mentors, AAU coaches, players, friends – on phone entire length of drive (NOTE: Binghamton released news that Cimino was the new wbb coach at 4 p.m.)
6:30 p.m. – Arrive and check into hotel in Vestal
7 p.m. – Met with my mom and stepdad and went to Macy’s to buy shoes for press conference
8 p.m. – Dinner at Texas Roadhouse with my mom and stepdad
9:30 p.m. – Go to Wal-Mart for last minute things
10 p.m. – Go over notes for morning meeting with the BU players and the press conference
Midnight – Lights out

FRIDAY, April 11
5 a.m. – Wake-up call (5 hours of sleep)
5:15-6 a.m. – Work out at hotel fitness center
6:30 a.m. – Use lobby computer to print out notes and meet my mom and stepdad for tea (mom was excited to see the morning newspaper article about me)
7 a.m. – Leave hotel
7:30-9:15 a.m. – Meet with the team, go over some rules, goals
9:15 – 9:30 a.m. – Meet Darlene (basketball secretary), go over some things in the office
9:30-10 a.m. – Meet with human resources regarding contract, insurance, benefits, etc.
10 a.m. – Meet with Dave Eagan to review NCAA compliance
11 a.m. – Meet with John Hartrick and David O’Brian to review press conference itinerary, protocol
Noon – Meet with Pat in conference room and eat lunch
12:15 p.m. – Learned about Mr. Hartwell passing … was upset and didn’t eat lunch (NOTE: Robert Hartwell was the longtime Adelphi AD and a close mentor)
12:30 p.m. – Review notes

1 p.m. – Talk with my former boss and Caldwell AD, Mark and friend/mentor Phyllis Mangina, who have come to support me at the press conference
2 p.m. – Press Conference!!
4 p.m. – Show family and friends my office and talk to BU colleagues
5:30 p.m. – Go to dinner at Tully’s with family and two former players, who had also come to the presser
7:30 p.m. – Start drive back to Long Island (call BU recruit Jasmine Sina and set up visit for Sunday)
11 p.m. – Arrive back in Massapequa

Site sponsored by: sponsors Liberty Mutual Quality Inn Dunkin Donuts Traditions at the Glen Subway Holiday Inn Express Laser Eye Center Hampton Inn Carr Printing Weis Holiday Inn University Plaza 20 Hawley Street Apartments M and T Bank Twin River Commons