- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Top-seeded BU men’s tennis bounces Stony Brook 5-0 in semifinals
Bearcats will face #2 UMBC for America East Championship Sunday at Yale
April 30, 2011Tweet
WEST HAVEN, Conn.—Top-seeded and three-time defending champion Binghamton men’s tennis blanked fourth-seeded Stony Brook 5-0 in the America East semifinals, played Saturday morning at Yale. The Bearcats (11-13) now advance to Sunday’s championship match, where they will face second-seeded UMBC in a rematch of last year’s final. The Retrievers defeated third-seeded Boston University 4-0 in the day’s other semifinal. The winner receives the conference’s automatic berth into the NCAA Championship.
Against their longtime SUNY rival, BU wasted no time, rolling to comfortable wins at the top two doubles spots to claim the opening point. Then the Bearcats used straight-set wins at the top four singles positions to seal the victory.
Senior Sven Vloedgraven, No. 81 in the lastest ITA national rankings, posted a 6-3, 6-2 win at number one to stretch his win streak to 20 matches. Vloedgraven is now 31-7 overall, 20-2 in duals. He hasn’t dropped a match since January 29.
Senior Arnav Jain also continued his winning ways with a 6-3, 6-4 win at the second spot. Jain lifted his record to 26-9 overall, 21-3 in duals.
Junior No. 3 Gilbert Wong dropped just three games in his straight-set triumph after pairing with Vloedgraven r the 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles.
The championship match begins at 11 a.m. on Sunday, alongside the women’s final pitting the BU women against 17-time champion Boston. The Bearcats will be looking for a first-ever men’s-women’s sweep of the tennis titles.
Binghamton 5, Stony Brook 0
1. Vloedgraven/Wong (BU) def. Kailaheimo/Duru (SBU), 8-1
2. Jain/A. Haggai (BU) def. Schmitz/Sztabholz (SBU), 8-1
3. Devos/Bastian Bornkessel (BU) led Fomin/Arciuli (SBU), 5-4
1. #81 Sven Vloedgraven (BU) def. Nikita Fomin (SBU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Arnav Jain (BU) def. Roope Kailaheimo (SBU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Gilbert Wong (BU) def. Francesco Arciuli (SBU), 6-0, 6-3
4. Alexandre Haggai (BU) def. Ryan Schmitz (SBU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Ruben Haggai (BU) led Max Sztabholz (SBU), 4-6, 6-3, 2-0
6. Ruben Devos (BU) even with Mehmet Duru (SBU), 4-6, 6-2, 1-1