- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Top-seeded BU women’s tennis rolls to 4-0 win over UMBC in America East Championship semifinal round
Jillian Santos and Yulia Smirnova posted a pair of victories to lead the Bearcats
April 30, 2011Tweet
NEW HAVEN, Conn.—Top-seeded Binghamton University women’s tennis rolled to a comfortable 4-0 shutout in the semifinal round of the America East Championships at Yale University on Saturday. The Bearcats will vie for its first conference title in the program’s Division I Era against the Boston University Terriers in the America East Championship match Sunday at 11 a.m.
The Bearcats captured the doubles point on the strength of wins at second and third doubles. Junior Jillian Santos and senior Yulia Smirnova posted an 8-5 triumph at the second slot, while juniors Marina Bykovskaya and Emma Leibowicz tallied an 8-4 decision at third doubles.
In the singles portion of competition, senior No. 1 Anna Edelman notched her program-best 33rd singles victory of the season, defeating Kim Berghaus in straight sets. Santos posted a convincing 6-3, 6-0 win at third singles for her 25th singles win on the year. Smirnova rolled to a 6-2, 6-2 triumph at fourth singles over Heidi Danielsson.
The Bearcats have advanced to the final round of the America East Championships six times over its 10-year Division I history. With Saturday’s win over UMBC, BU secured its fourth straight appearance in the final round of the America East Championship.
#1 Binghamton 4, #4 UMBC 0
1. Anna Edelman/Lauren Bates (BU) vs. Carmen Jackman/Julia Gragera-Cano (UMBC) DNF 7-4
2. Jillian Santos/Yulia Smirnova (BU) def Kim Berghaus/Emily Mannix (UMBC) 8-5
3. Marina Bykovskaya/Emma Leibowicz (BU) def Heidi Danielsson/Josefin Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) 8-4
1. Anna Edelman (BU) def Kim Berghaus (UMBC) 7-6 (3), 7-0
2. Lauren Bates (BU) led Carmen Jackman (UMBC) DNF 6-1, 4-3
3. Jillian Santos (BU) def Julia Gragera-Cano (UMBC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Yulia Smirnova (BU) def Heidi Danielsson (UMBC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Marina Bykovskaya (BU) led Emily Mannix (UMBC) DNF 7-5, 1-5
6. Josefin Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) led Leibowicz (BU) DNF 6-4, 5-4