- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Watch the 2011-12 Highlight Video
May 8, 2012Tweet
Contact: John Hartrick (firstname.lastname@example.org)
VESTAL, N.Y.—The 2011-12 Binghamton Athletics Highlight Video is now online for viewing. The video, produced by webmaster Elsan Dzudza ‘98 and the athletics communications office, was unveiled at the annual Varsity Awards Program on Thursday and will also run on a loop on the television screen inside the Events Center concourse throughout the spring and summer months.
The top-16 moments of the year, currently listed below, will also be updated after the spring season and will be part of an interactive tournament “bracket” that fans can vote on during the summer months to determine the single greatest Bearcats athletics achievement of the 2011-12 season.
Stay tuned to bubearcats.com for the bracket pairings in the coming weeks.
Top 16 Moments of 2011-12 (as of May 3)
1. Wrestler Donnie Vinson wins seven straight matches at the NCAA Championship and becomes an All-American with his third-place finish - the highest national finish of any BU wrestler in Division I history. He is also named the Colonial Athletic Association Wrestler of the Year and the Most Outstanding Wrestler at the CAA Championship.
2. Men’s indoor track runner Erik van Ingen places seventh in the mile at the NCAA Championships, earning first-team All-America honors for the third time in his career.
3. The wrestling team earns its highest national rank in program history (No. 18) and then records the highest national finish (14th) of any team during BU’s Division I tenure.
4. The men’s tennis team captures its fifth straight America East title and prepares for its eighth NCAA appearance in the last 10 years. Alexandre Haggai is named the championship MVP.
5. Wrestler Nick Gwiazdowski becomes the first-ever Binghamton freshman to earn Division I All-America honors when he places eighth at heavyweight at the NCAA Championship.
6. The women’s basketball team upsets third-seeded and host Hartford in the America East tournament quarterfinals.
7. The wrestling team splits 10 matches and ties No. 5 Cornell in the program’s first-ever televised and first-ever home match at the Events Center before the visitors are awarded the tiebreaking win on critieria.
8. Women’s indoor track runner Jessica Hennig wins the 400 at the America East Championships for the third year in a row.
9. Men’s swimmer Nolan Slesnick earns the America East Coaches’ Award as the top senior point producer at the conference championship after collecting a gold, silver and bronze medal.
10. Baseball pitcher Mike Augliera is among the nation’s top-2 pitchers in strikeout-to-walk ratio heading into May and is being scouted by as many as 20 Major League Baseball teams.
11. Softball player Jessica Phillips sets the career home run record with her 35th blast on March 31 against conference foe Hartford.
12. The women’s soccer team upsets fourth-seeded and host New Hampshire to advance to the America East semifinals for the third time in four seasons.
13. The men’s cross country team wins the season-ending IC4A Championship.
14. Men’s lacrosse player Michael Antinozzi scores a hat trick in a school-record six consecutive games to open the season.
15. The men’s soccer team concludes its season with a 5-1 Senior Day win over America East regular-season champion Boston University.
16. The men’s basketball team beats league-leading and eventual conference champion Vermont 57-53 for the team’s first win of the season.