- Fan Zone
- Inside Athletics
Women’s Tennis Falls 4-0 To UMBC In America East Semis
Bearcats (10-13) streak of fifth straight finals appearance comes up short
April 28, 2012Tweet
Contact: Mike Porter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Flushing, NY—The women’s tennis team’s season came to a close Saturday afternoon as they dropped a 4-0 match to second seeded UMBC at the semifinals of the America East championship. The Bearcats finished up the 2011-12 season with a 10-13 record as they say goodbye to a trio of terrific seniors.
The Retrievers swept the Bearcats in doubles play, taking the first team point and finished out the afternoon winning the first three singles matches, giving them the 4-0 lead and the necessary points to advance to the finals of the tournament championship where they will play Stony Brook, who upset 17-time defending champion Boston 4-3 Saturday afternoon.
Binghamton will graduate its three seniors who have given tremendous contributions to the program. Senior Jillian Santos will finish her career with the third most singles and doubles wins at 86 and 75 respectively. The senior from Flushing, NY is a three-time second-team all conference player at singles and three-time first-team member at doubles. Senior Marina Bykovskaya had an outstanding senior campaign winning a team-high 22 singles matches, raising her win total to 73 for her career (seventh all-time). Bykovskaya has been named to the all-conference team twice at singles and doubles . Lastly, Emma Leibowicz also finishes up her four-year career with a 47-41 singles record and the eighth most doubles wins in program history with 66. She also is a two-time first team all-conference member at doubles.
#2 UMBC 4, #3 Binghamton 0
1. Berghaus/Jackman (UMBC) def. Bykovskaya/Medianik (BING), 8-4
2. Santos/Leibowicz (BING) def. Sahoo/Stange-Jonsson (UMBC), 8-2
3. Hadji/Aldunate (UMBC) def. Hollander/Edelbum (BING), 8-2
1. Sahoo (UMBC) def. Santos (BING), 6-4, 6-2
2. Berghaus (UMBC) def. Hollander (BING), 6-3, 6-0
3. Bykovskaya (BING) led Jackman (UMBC), 7-6, 1-3
4. Medianik (BING) led Aldunate (UMBC), 7-5, 2-3
5. Danielsson (UMBC) led Leibowicz (BING), 6-1, 4-4
6. Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) def. Edelbum (BING), 6-4, 6-4