Immediate Release: April 16, 2008
Contact: John Hartrick (email@example.com)
BU men's tennis knocks off strong Army squad 4-3
POINT, N.Y. -- Binghamton University men's tennis (11-9) won
four of the six singles matches to pull out a 4-3 win over host
Army Wednesday afternoon at West Point. After dropping the doubles
point and the top two singles matches, BU rallied for wins at
third through sixth singles to snare the win - their fifth in
the last seven matches and first-ever over the Black Knights
(14-6), who sit atop the Patriot League.
Sebastian Dietz (Leun, Germany) earned
a three-set win at third singles to improve to 16-12 on the season.
Freshman Sven Vloedgraven (Lochem,
Netherlands) notched a convincing 6-2, 6-2 win at the fourth
spot. He is 13-5 in duals.
Arnav Jain (Mumbai, India) and Gregoire
Berner (Troinex, Switzerland) picked up wins at Nos. 5 and
6 respectively. Jain raised his overall record to 16-3 and Berner
tallied his 13th win of the season.
hosts Concordia in the team's final dual match Sunday at 11 a.m.
Binghamton now owns wins against two opponents (Army, Georgetown),
who in turn, defeated UMBC, giving the Bearcats the edge in seeding
for the upcoming America East Championship.
4, Army 3
Eddie Kang/Sean Harris (A) def. Faisal Mohamed/Gregoire Berner:
2. Tripp Johnson/Jordan Girdley (A) def. Sven Vloedgraven/Moshe
3. Johnny Lucero/Bruno Lucivero (A) def. Jon Bonnet/Alex Dobrin:
Eddie Kang (A) def. Faisal Mohamed: 7-6 (2), 6-2
2. Tripp Johnson (A) def. Moshe Levy: 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. Sebastian Dietz (BU) def. Jordan Girdley: 4-6, 6-4, 4-1 (ret.)
4. Sven Vloedgraven (BU) def. Bruno Lucivero: 6-2, 6-2
5. Arnav Jain (BU) def. Johnny Lucero: 6-1, 6-7 (6), 6-2
6. Gregoire Berner (BU) def. Josh Krieter: 6-4, 6-2
match went to tie-breaker at 6-6 because Army had already secured
the doubles point with wins at No.1 and No.2.