Immediate Release: April 18, 2004
Contact: David Berman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bearcats blank Bucknell 7-0 for eighth win in last nine matches
Bearcats conclude regular season with 13-7 record heading into America East Championship
LEWISBURG, Pa.--Binghamton (13-7) concluded the regular season in top form on Sunday afternoon, defeating host Bucknell (8-11) 7-0 despite playing its third match in as many days. The Bearcats closed out the schedule by playing nine matches in 17 days. Binghamton ran off an 8-1 record in that span, and lost just two individual matches in the eight wins. BU now awaits the announcement of seeding for the America East Championship, which will be held April 30-May 2 at the Connecticut Tennis Center on the Yale campus. Last season the Bearcats carried the top seed into the conference tournament and emerged with the program's first America East title.
"We are tired from ending the regular season with so many matches, but we feel good," head coach Michael Starke said. We played fair on Friday, good on Saturday and very good today. We feel that we have done everything we can to prepare for the conference tournament."
On Sunday the Bearcats were led by freshman sensation Dan Hanegby (Herzliya, Israel) at the top singles and doubles spots. Hanegby produced a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Gerald DiChiara in singles play to boost his record to 29-5 on the season, including 18-2 in dual matches.
1. Dan Hanegby/Steve Spencer (Bing) defeated Gerald DiChiara/Aaron Saperstein (Buck) 8-4
2. Brian O'Connor/Edwin Gerard (Bing) defeated Nick Denefrio/Asher Salam (Buck) 8-5
3. Krishna Vallabhaneni/Rodrigo Valle (Bing) defeated Matt Pikus/Matt Kutner (Buck) 9-7
1. Dan Hanegby (Bing) defeated Gerald DiChiara (Buck) 6-2, 6-0
2. Richemn Mourad (Bing) defeated Nick Denefrio (Buck) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Brian O'Connor (Bing) defeated Asher Salam (Buck) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
4. Steve Spencer (Bing) defeated Joe Menezes (Buck) 7-5, 7-5
5. Edwin Gerard (Bing) defeated Matt Pikus (Buck) 7-5, 6-2
6. Juan Garcia (Bing) defeated Aaron Saperstein (Buck) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
Sports Men: Baseball | Basketball | Cross Country | Golf | Lacrosse | Soccer | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Wrestling |
Sports Women: Basketball | Cross Country | Lacrosse | Soccer | Softball | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Volleyball |
No portion of this site may be reproduced or duplicated without the permission of Binghamton University.