Immediate Release: April 17, 2004
Contact: David O'Brian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
tennis defeats Concordia 7-0 in final home match of the season
N.Y. - Binghamton men's tennis team (12-7) won for the seventh
time in its last eight matches, defeating Concordia 7-0 at the
West Gym Courts on Saturday afternoon. The Bearcats won all six
singles matches and three doubles matches.
Freshman singles player Dan Hanegby (Herzeliya, Israel)
won his 11th consecutive match, defeating Chris Borrelli 5-7,
6-2, 6-4 at first singles. With the win, Hanegby improved to
17-2 in dual matches this season and 28-5 overall. Playing in
his final regular season home match, senior Steve Spencer
(Plantation, Fla.) posted a 6-1, 6-1 win over John Cassas
at fourth singles. Henegby and Spencer also teamed up at first
doubles for an 8-4 win over Borrelli and Christian Tiongko.
Sophomore Richemn Mourad (Sao Paulo, Brazil) scored a
6-1, 3-6, 6-1 win at second singles - his 18th win of the year.
At the third spot, sophomore Brian O'Connor (New Rochelle,
N.Y.) recorded a 6-2, 6-1 triumph, improving to 21-8 overall.
Also winning their matches were sophomore Edwin Gerard (Bayside,
N.Y.) at fifth singles and junior Juan Garcia (Lima, Peru)
at sixth singles.
In doubles action, Mourad and Garcia won 8-3 at No. 2 while O'Connor
and Gerard won 8-5 at No. 3.
"We played well today, especially in the doubles matches,"
head coach Michael Starke said. "Juan played an excellent
match against a very good player. He found a way to tough it
out and win at the end."
Binghamton travels to Bucknell for a noon match on Sunday.
1. Dan Hanegby (B) def. Chris Borrelli (C) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
2. Richemn Mourad (B) def. Christian Tiongko (C) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
3. Brian O'Connor (B) def. Marcello Froes (C) 6-2, 6-1
4. Steve Spencer (B) def. John Cassas (C) 6-1, 6-1
5. Edwin Gerard (B) def. Tom Pham (C) 6-4, 6-2
6. Juan Garcia (B) def. Joshua Schulze (C) 6-2, 6-1
1. Hanegby/Spencer (B) def. Borrelli/ Tiongko (C) 8-4
2. Mourad/Garcia (B) def. Froes/Cassas (C) 8-3
3. O'Connor/Gerard (B) def. Pham/Schulze (C) 8-5