For Immediate Release: February 25, 2011
Contact: Terrence Lollie (
Phone: 607-777-2956

Binghamton drops second straight on road to Connecticut 11-9
Bearcats late rally comes up short as UConn holds on for win

Box Score

STORRS, CONN. -- For the second straight week the Binghamton women's lacrosse program (0-2) was on the road and for the second straight week the BU women's lacrosse team lost a game to a formidable Big East opponent. The Bearcats fell to the University of Connecticut (2-0), 11-9 in a non-conference game from George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs, Connecticut.

The Bearcats displayed their offensive firepower in the opening minutes as they jumped out to 3-1 lead on UConn with 18:45 remaining in the half. Sophomore Kimberly McGeever opened up the scoring for the Bearcats as she received a pass from junior Lis Zuern and found the back of the net, for her first goal of the season. UConn would answer back, but BU was unphased as senior Beth Moore and Zuern each tallied unassisted goals to regain the 3-1 advantage.

Binghamton however, would go on a scoring drought that lasted the remainder of the half, allowing UConn to go on a 6 goal-to-none run. The Huskies took a 6-3 lead into the half on the strength of two free position goals, outshooting BU 16-8.

Head coach Tony Zostant woke up his team during the half as the Bearcats came out and scored just 57 seconds into the frame. Zuern used her speed to elude the Huskie defense and record her second unassisted goal of the game. BU's 2010 points leader, senior Ali Castiglie notched her first goal of the season, taking a pass from Lizzie Wright and cutting towards the net and firing to cut the deficit to one, 6-5.

Connecticut's defense would once again stymie the Bearcats holding them scoreless for more than ten minutes. During that stretch UConn would extend its lead to 10-5 thanks to a pair of free position goals.

Down five, Binghamton did not give up as Castiglie and Moore each netted their second goals of the game to cut the Huskie lead to three (10-7). UConn leading scorer M.E. Lapham would put the final dagger in the hearts of the Bearcats as she scored her fifth goal of the game giving the Huskies an 11-7 insurmountable advantage. McGeever and Moore would each find the back of the net again, but it was too litte, too late for BU as Connecticut held off their final push.

Moore tallied a hat trick for the Bearcats, scoring three goals. Zuern recorded two goals and two assists to lead all Bearcat point scorers. McGeever finished her day with a pair of goals along with one assist. Castigle notched two goals for BU. Senior Lizzie Wright picked up a game-high seven ground balls for Binghamton.

Senior goal keeper Lauren Scott had a solid day between the pipes with 14 saves, facing 28 shots on the day.

For the game Connecticut outshot Binghamton, 28-21 while causing 22 turnovers. The Bearcat defense caused 20 turnovers of their own, picking up 15 ground balls to UConn's nine, however had trouble converting those ground balls into clears going 1-5 in the second half.

Up next for the Bearcats is their home-opener against Marist Feb. 2 at 4 p.m. Binghamton lost 12-11 in overtime on the road to the Red Foxes last year. BU is 0-4 all-time against Marist.

NOTES: This is the second-ever meeting between Binghamton and Connecticut, with the Huskies winning last year 16-12 in Binghamton...Connecticut junior M.E. Lapham notched her second straight five-goal game, scoring five last week against Iona...UConn was chosen seventh out of nine teams in the Big East preseason poll (Louisville fifth).

| Go Back to Home Page |
Copyright © Binghamton University. All rights reserved.
No portion of this site may be reproduced or duplicated without the permission of Binghamton University.