Immediate Release: April 29, 2006
Contact: David O'Brian (email@example.com)
Boston defeats Binghamton women's tennis 4-0 in America East Conference finals
NEW HAVEN, Conn.-- Erin Katims won at No. 1 singles and No. 2 doubles and was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Performer, leading top-seeded Boston to a 4-0 win over second-seeded Binghamton in the finals of the America East Conference Championship on Sunday morning. The Terriers won their 13th straight conference crown while the Bearcats earned runner-up honors for the third time in four seasons.
"Boston is a deserved champion," head coach Mike Stevens said. "We played hard but they were better. Still, we are proud of the season that we had."
Katim defeated freshman Juliana Umeki (Mogi des Cruises, Brazil) 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1 singles and teammed with Laura Ahmes to defeat Umeki and junior Zeynep Altinay (Ankara, Turkey) 8-4 at second doubles.
The Terriers won at first and second doubles to take the point. Junior Lya Kushnirovich (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and and freshman Nicole Scarangella (Massapequa, N.Y.) were up 7-6 at third doubles but play was called after the other two matches had concluded.
Boston's other two wins were at fifth and sixth singles.
Binghamton ends the 2005-06 season with an 11-6 record. In the past two years, the Bearcats have gone 27-12, including 12-2 against America East Conference opponents.
1. Erin Katims (BOST) def. Juliana Umeki (BING) 6-2, 6-2
5. Cori Lefkowith (BOST) def. Jenn Naegeli (BING) 6-4, 6-2
6. Danielle Abraham (BOST) def. Nicole Scarangella (BING) 6-0, 6-3
MATCHES NOT COMPLETED
2. Gina Sabatino (BOST) led Zenyep Altinay (BING) 6-4, 4-4
3. Laura Ahmes (BOST) led Jelena Koprivica (BING) 7-5, 3-4
4. Yana Sadovskaya (BOST) led Lya Kushnirovich (BING) 7-5, 5-4
1. Shepherd & Sabatino (BOST) def. Koprivica & Naegeli (BING), 8-4
2. Katims & Ahmes (BOST) def. Umeki & Altinay (BING), 8-5
MATCHES NOT COMPLETED
3. Scarangella & Kushnirovich (BING) led Lefkowith & Abraham (BOST) 7-6
Sports Men: Baseball | Basketball | Cross Country | Golf | Lacrosse | Soccer | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Wrestling |
Sports Women: Basketball | Cross Country | Lacrosse | Soccer | Softball | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Volleyball |
No portion of this site may be reproduced or duplicated without the permission of Binghamton University.