Release: April 30, 2011
Contact: Kevin Solan (email@example.com)
BU women's tennis rolls to 4-0 win over UMBC in America East
Championship semifinal round
Santos and Yulia Smirnova posted a pair of victories to lead
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Top-seeded
Binghamton University women's tennis rolled to a comfortable
4-0 shutout in the semifinal round of the America East Championships
at Yale University on Saturday. The Bearcats will vie for its
first conference title in the program's Division I Era against
the Boston University Terriers in the America East Championship
match Sunday at 11 a.m.
The Bearcats captured the doubles point on the strength of wins
at second and third doubles. Junior Jillian
Santos and senior Yulia Smirnova
posted an 8-5 triumph at the second slot, while juniors Marina
Bykovskaya and Emma Leibowicz
tallied an 8-4 decision at third doubles.
In the singles portion of competition, senior No. 1 Anna
Edelman notched her program-best 33rd singles victory of
the season, defeating Kim Berghaus in straight sets. Santos posted
a convincing 6-3, 6-0 win at third singles for her 25th singles
win on the year. Smirnova rolled to a 6-2, 6-2 triumph at fourth
singles over Heidi Danielsson.
The Bearcats have advanced to the final round of the America
East Championships six times over its 10-year Division I history.
With Saturday's win over UMBC, BU secured its fourth straight
appearance in the final round of the America East Championship.
#1 Binghamton 4, #4 UMBC 0
1. Anna Edelman/Lauren Bates (BU) vs. Carmen Jackman/Julia Gragera-Cano
(UMBC) DNF 7-4
2. Jillian Santos/Yulia Smirnova (BU) def Kim Berghaus/Emily
Mannix (UMBC) 8-5
3. Marina Bykovskaya/Emma Leibowicz (BU) def Heidi Danielsson/Josefin
Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) 8-4
1. Anna Edelman (BU) def Kim Berghaus (UMBC) 7-6 (3),
2. Lauren Bates (BU) led Carmen Jackman (UMBC) DNF 6-1, 4-3
3. Jillian Santos (BU) def Julia Gragera-Cano (UMBC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Yulia Smirnova (BU) def Heidi Danielsson (UMBC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Marina Bykovskaya (BU) led Emily Mannix (UMBC) DNF 7-5, 1-5
6. Josefin Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) led Leibowicz (BU) DNF 6-4,