Release: March 1, 2009
Contact: David O'Brian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
women's tennis edges Bucknell 6-2
OLEAN, N.Y.-- Sophomores
Bates and Yulia
Smirnova each won their singles and doubles matches,
leading Binghamton (6-2) to a 4-3 win over Bucknell (5-3) in
a non-conference women's tennis match on Sunday afternoon. The
neutral site event was held at St. Bonaventure.
Bates won at second singles against Paulina Gamboa 6-0, 6-0.
Earlier in the day, she joined freshman Emma
Liebowitz at third doubles for an 8-2 win over Carlin
Calcaterra and Lauren Rottkamp.
Also winning at fifth singles was freshman Marina Bykovskaya.
Her 6-2, 7-6 (5) victory over Globerman was the clinching match
for the Bearcats.
Binghamton opens up America East play next Saturday with a 10
a.m. match against Hartford. The Bearcats will also face Rhode
Island at 4 p.m. that same day.
1. Tania Varela (BUCKNELL) def. Jillian Santos (BING) 6-3, 7-6
2. Lauren Bates (BING) def. Paulina Gamboa (BUCKNELL) 6-0, 6-0
3. Yulia Smirnova (BING) def. Lauren Lucido (BUCKNELL) 6-1, 6-4
4. Dumitrita Iepuras (BUCKNELL) def. Basak Gone (BING) 7-6 (9),
5. Marina Bykovskaya (BING) def. Ashley Globerman (BUCKNELL)
6-2, 7-6 (5)
6. Lauren Rottkamp (BUCKNELL) def. Danyelle Shapiro (BING) 6-2,
1. Santos & Smirnova (BING) def. Varela & Globerman (BUCKNELL)
2. Gamboa & Lucido (BUCKNELL) def. Gone & Bykovskaya
3. Bates & Liebowicz (BING) def. Calcaterra & Rottkamp