Immediate Release: February 10, 2006
Contact: David O'Brian (email@example.com)
women's tennis defeats Colgate 5-2, improves to 4-0 in dual matches
N.Y.-- Host Binghamton (4-0) continued its impressive start in
dual matches this season, defeating Colgate (2-1) 5-2 at the
Binghamton Tennis Center late Saturday evening. The Bearcats
are off to their best start in dual matches since moving up to
the NCAA Division I level five years ago.
Binghamton swept the three doubles matches and went on to win
four out of six singles matches. In their four dual events this
season, the Bearcats are 11-1 in doubles matches.
The win was the Bearcats' first against the Red Raiders in three
tries. Although the Bearcats won by forfeit in 2005, they lost
5-2 in both 2003 and 2004.
Altinay (Ankara, Turkey) won her school-record 77th career
singles match, defeating Jackie Couture 6-0, 6-2 at first singles.
She is now 77-25 all time. In doubles play, Altinay and freshman
Rosenblum (Albany, N.Y.) defeated the team of Cameron
Thaney and Samantha Inacker 8-4 at second doubles. Rosenblum
also defeated Inacker 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
Kushnirovich (Brooklyn, N.Y.) defeated Lauren Levy 6-0,
6-2 at third singles, running her career record to 75-28. She
also teamed up with sophomore Juliana
Umeki (Mogi de Cruises, Brazil) to defeat Couture and
Elise DeRose at first doubles.
Shapiro (Boca Raton, Fla.) won for the fourth time in
as many dual matches, defeating Lindsay Grossman 6-0, 6-4 at
fifth singles. She is now 13-1 this season in singles play. Shapiro
and senior Jenn
Naegeli (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) defeated Erin Fenn and
Cameron Williams at third doubles.
1. Zeynep Altinay (B) def. Jackie Couture (C) 6-0, 6-2
2. Elise Derose (C) def. Juliana Umeki (B) 6-4, 7-5
3. Lya Kushnirovich (B) def. Lauren Levy (C) 6-0, 6-2
4. Erica Rosenblum (B) def. Samantha Inacker (C) 6-2, 6-2
5. Danyelle Shapiro (B) def. Lindsay Grossman (C) 6-0, 6-4
6. Cameron Thaney (C) def. Gayarthri Balasundar (B) 1-6, 6-4,
1. Kushnirovich & Umeki (B) def. Couture & Derose (C)
2. Altinay & Rosenblum (B) def. Thaney & Inacker (C)
3. Shapiro & Naegeli (B) def. Fenn & Williams (C) 8-4