Release: April 16, 2008
Contact: David O'Brian (email@example.com)
women's tennis defeats Colgate 5-2
HAMILTON, N.Y.- Visiting Binghamton
(10-5) swept the doubles point as well as the top four singles
matches en route to a 5-2 win at Colgate (10-8) in non-conference
women's tennis action on Wednesday afternoon. With the victory,
the Bearcats have won their last four outings.
The freshman tandem of Anna
Edelman (Great Neck, N.Y.) and Lauren
Bates (Buffalo, N.Y.) continued their outstanding play in
both singles and doubles action. The pair teamed up for an 8-2
win at first doubles over Elise DeRose and Samantha Inacker.
Edelman also defeated DeRose 6-1, 6-4 at first singles while
Bates scored a 6-1, 6-1 win over Inacker at second singles.
At third doubles, freshman Yulia
Smirnova (Moscow, Russia) and sophomore Danyelle
Shapiro (Boca Raton, Fla.) won 8-5 against Isabel Riemer
and Erin Fenn.
Smirnova went on to beat Riemer 6-4, 6-2 at third singles while
Shapiro gained a win at fourth singles when Cameron Williams
retired in the first set.
Rosenblum (Albany, N.Y.) and senior Gayarthri
Balasundar (Syosset, N.Y.) won 8-5 at third doubles over
Williams and Stephanie Bender.
Binghamton closes out its regular season at Albany on Saturday
at 1 p.m.
1. Anna Edelman (BING) def. Elise DeRose (COLGATE) 6-1, 6-4
2. Lauren Bates (BING) def. Samantha Inacker (COLGATE) 6-1, 6-1
3. Yulia Smirnova (BING) def. Isabel Riemer (COLGATE) 6-4, 6-2
4. Danyelle Shapiro (BING) def. Cameron Williams (COLGATE) 3-0,
5. Erin Fenn (COLGATE) def. Erica Rosenblum (BING) 6-4, 6-7,
6. Stephanie Bender (COLGATE) def. Gayahtri Balasundar (BING)
1. Edelman & Bates (BING) def. DeRose & Inacker (COLGATE)
2. Rosenblum & Balasundar (BING) def. Williams & Bender
3. Shapiro & Smirnova (BING) def. Fenn & Riemer (COLGATE)