Immediate Release: October 14, 2006
Contact: David O'Brian (email@example.com)
women's tennis competes at Cornell Fall Invitational
N.Y.-- Freshman Danyelle Shapiro (Boca Raton, Fla.) swept
both her singles matches and senior Lya Kushnirovich (Brooklyn,
N.Y.) recorded her 71st career singles win, highlighting the
Binghamton women's tennis team's performance at the Cornell Fall
Invitational on Saturday. The event, which did not have team
scoring, was orginally supposed to run through Sunday. When snow
prevented Buffalo from making the trip, the invitational was
shortened to just one day.
Shapiro, who is now 8-0 in singles play this season, defeated
Catherine Dubac of Cornell 6-4, 5-7, 10-6 at No. 5 singles. She
later defeated Stephanie Giminez of Massachusetts, also at No.
5 singles, 6-4, 6-0.
Kushnirovich, meanwhile, defeated Masha Pozar of Massachusetts
5-7, 6-1, 10-7 at No. 2 singles. She now trails only senior teammate
senior Zeynep Altinay (Ankara, Turkey), who ranks first
in school history with 72 career singles wins.
Shapiro and Kushnirovich won at No. 2 doubles against Elizabeth
Godge and Kasai Prenata of Cornell 9-7.
Also victorious for Binghamton in singles play was freshman Erica
Rosenblum (Albany, N.Y.), who beat Maude Lecluyse of Massachusetts
6-0, 6-4 at No. 4 singles.
and Rosenblum defeated Pozar and Michele Spiess of Massachusetts
8-6 at No. 1 doubles.
Binghamton heads to the ITA East Regional in Hanover, N.H. Oct.
Kasia Prenata (C) def. Lya Kushnirovich (B) 6-3, 6-7 (8), 10-7
2. Tamara John (C) def. Zeynep Altinay (B) 6-2, 7-5
3. Elizabeth Godge (C) def. Juliana Umeki (B) 6-2, 6-4
4. Nisha Suda (C) def. Erica Rosenblum (B) 7-6 (1), 6-1
5. Danyelle Shapiro (B) def. Catherine Dubac (C) 6-4, 5-7, 10-6
6. Shayna Miller (C) def. Gayarthri Balasundar (B) 6-1, 7-5
7. Dana Cruite (C) def. Alex Sinclair (B) 8-0
8. Ashley Ebbert (C) def. Jen Kucko (B) 8-1
1. Dubac & Miller (C) def. Altinay & Rosenblum (B)
2. Kushnirovich & Shapiro (B) def. Godge & Prenata (C)
3. John & Suda (C) def. Umeki & Balasundar (B) 8-4
BINGHAMTON VS. MASSACHUSETTS
1. Michele Spiess (M) def. Zeynep Altinay (B) 6-3, 6-1
2. Lya Kushnirovich (B) def. Masha Pozar (M) 5-7, 6-1, 10-7
3. Ellen de Jong (M) def. Juliana Umeki (B) 6-3, 6-4
4. Erica Rosenblum (B) def. Maude Lecluyse (M) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
5. Danyelle Shaprio (B) def. Stephanie Giminez (M) 6-0, 6-4
6. Laura Murillo (M) def. Gayarthri Balasundar (B) 6-2, 6-2
7. Dasa Stanimoric (M) def. Alex Sinclair (B) 8-0
8. Jen Kucko (B) def. Lauren McKay (M) 8-1
Altinay & Rosenblum (B) def. Spiess & Pozar (M) 8-6
2. Ludmer & de Jong (M) def. Kushnirovich & Shapiro (B)
3. DiPiero & Murillo (M) def. Umeki & Balasundar (B)
4. Stanimoric & Leclyse (M) def. Kucko & Sinclair (B)