Release: April 16, 2011
Contact: Kevin Solan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
fall in BU's sweep over Hartford, Stony Brook
Edelman and Bates combine to break a pair of school records
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. --
Seniors Anna Edelman and Lauren
Bates broke a pair of school records, leading the Binghamton
University women's tennis team to a pair of wins over Hartford
and Stony Brook in a doubleheader regular-season finale Saturday.
The Bearcats (11-8), who have won six consecutive dual matches,
blanked Hartford 7-0 in the opener while posting a 4-2 win against
the Seawolves, improving to a combined 22-2 all-time against
the two America East foes.
The Bearcats will enter the America East Championships at Yale
University April 29-May 1 on a winning streak of five games or
more for the seventh consecutive season.
In the morning matchup with the host Hawks, Binghamton only dropped
five games for the entire dual match. In doubles play, each Binghamton
tandem combined for an 8-0 victory.
With her 31st victory of the season in singles competition, senior
Anna Edelman broke Zeynep Altinay's
single-season record, which was set during the 2004-05 campaign.
Edelman cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 decision over Katina Zampas. The
senior standout posted 18 wins in tournament play during the
fall season, highlighted by the A Singles crown in the USTA National
Tennis Center Invitational and a runner-up finish at the ITA
East Regional Championships.
Classmate Lauren Bates registerd a pair
of singles victories as she moved into sole possession of first
place on the program's career singles wins chart. With 88 career
victories in singles competition, Bates represents the school's
all-time leader in singles wins, passing Zeynep Altinay's career
mark of 86 wins.
Senior Yulia Smirnova, the school's
career leader in doubles wins (82), posted a 6-1, 6-0 triumph
over Nicole Haynal. Juniors Jillian Santos,
Marina Bykovskaya and Emma
Leibowicz all won in straight-set fashion to round out the
singles lineup. Bykovskaya and Leibowicz tallied impressive 6-0,
6-0 triumphs at the fifth and sixth singles spot.
The second dual match of the day pitted the Bearcats against
the Seawolves in a neutral site affair that featured singles
matches only. The top three spots in BU's singles lineup along
with a victory from Bykovskaya at fifth singles propelled the
Bearcats to a 4-2 win.
Edelman, Bates and Santos all tallied straight-set triumphs at
first, second and third singles, respectively. Bykovskaya dropped
her opening set, but rallied for her sixth consecutive singles
win, dating back to March 26.
After adding a pair of singles wins on Saturday, Edelman tied
her mark of 14 dual match singles victories, which ranks fifth
on the program's all-time list.
Binghamton 7, Hartford 0 (First Match)
1. Anna Edelman/Lauren Bates (BU) def Katina Zampas/Maggie Sabatino
2. Jillian Santos/Yulia Smirnova (BU) def Nicole Haynal/Kaitlin
Lennon (Hartford) 8-0
3. Marina Bykovskaya/Emma Leibowicz (BU) def Ashley Harel/Emily
Willhoft (Hartford) 8-0
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Anna Edelman (BU) def Katina Zampas (Hartford)
2. Lauren Bates (BU) def Maggie Sabatino (Hartford) 6-2, 6-0
3. Jillian Santos (BU) def Ashley Harel (Hartford) 6-0, 6-2
4. Yulia Smirnova (BU) def Nicole Haynal (Hartford) 6-1, 6-0
5. Marina Bykovskaya (BU) def Kaitlin Lennon (Hartford) 6-0,
6. Emma Leibowicz (BU) def Emily Willhoft (Hartford) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5, 4, 6, 2
Binghamton 4, Stony Brook 2 (Second Match; Singles Only)
1. Anna Edelman (BU) def Nini Lagvilava (Stony Brook)
2. Lauren Bates (BU) def Aylin Mehter (Stony Brook) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jillian Santos (BU) def Prerana Appineni (Stony Brook) 6-4,
4. Gayatri Krishnan (Stony Brook) def Yulia Smirnova (BU) 6-7
(2-7), 6-1, 6-4
5. Marina Bykovskaya (BU) def Katherine Hanson (Stony Brook)
5-7, 6-3, 6-1
6. Salome Mkervalidze (Stony Brook) def Emma Leibowicz (BU) 6-3,
Order of finish: 1, 3, 6, 2, 5, 4