Release: March 4, 2011
Contact: Kevin Solan (email@example.com)
tennis rolls to 5-2 triumph over host Penn
Bykovskaya, and Leibowicz post a pair of victories for BU
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. -- The Binghamton
University women's tennis team (3-4) rolled to a 5-2 triumph
over the University of Pennsylvania Quakers (5-5) in a dual match
Friday evening. A trio of juniors -- Jillian
Santos, Marina Bykovskaya,
and Emma Leibowicz -- tallied a
pair of victories to pace the Bearcats.
"Today we were able to put into matches what we've been
practicing," head coach Libby McGovern said. "Our focus
was a lot sharper and we were successful because of it."
BU captured the doubles point with wins at second and third doubles
by senior Yulia Smirnova and Santos
(8-3) along with the tandem of Bykovskaya and Leibowicz (8-2).
University of Pennsylvania's Connie Hsu, who is tabbed No. 12
in the ITA's national singles rankings with a sparkling 33-2
singles record this year, registered a straight-set victory over
senior Anna Edelman at first singles.
Smirnova fell next at third singles as BU suddenly trailed the
However, the Bearcats rattled off four consecutive wins to round
out the singles competition and secure the team's third victory
this season. BU rallied behind stellar performances from Santos,
Bykovskaya and Leibowicz, who all won two matches on the day.
Santos cruised to a 6-2, 6-4 win at second singles. Leibowicz
posted the next victory with a straight-set decision at fifth
singles. Bykovskaya and senior Lauren Bates
each rallied for a pair of three-set wins.
The Bearcats are back in action Sunday for a dual match against
Buffalo at 1 p.m.
1. Alexa Ely/Connie Hsu, (Penn) defeated Anna Edelman/Yagmur
Gone, (BU) 8-3
2. Jillian Santos/Yulia Smirnova, (BU) defeated Jamie Yapp-Shing
3. Marina Bykovskaya/Emma Leibowicz, (BU) defeated Stephanie
Do/Emma Whitfield, (Penn) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. No. 12 Connie Hsu, (Penn) defeated Anna Edelman
(BU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Jillian Santos, (BU) defeated Alexa Ely, (Penn) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jaime Yapp-Shing, (Penn) defeated Yulia Smirnova (BU) 6-2,
4. Marina Bykovskaya, (BU) defeated Stephanie Do (Penn) 3-6,
5. Emma Leibowicz, (BU) defeated Daniela DePaoli, (Penn) 7-5,
6. Lauren Bates, (BU) defeated Emma Whitfield (Penn), 5-7, 7-5,
Order of Finish: 1,3,2,5,4,6