Release: February 20, 2010
Contact: David O'Brian (email@example.com)
women's tennis remains unbeaten with 6-1 win over Rutgers
ITHACA, N.Y.-- The Binghamton
women's tennis team (5-0) continued its impressive start to the
spring season with a 6-1 win over Rutgers (3-2) on Saturday afternoon
at the Reis Tennis Center. The Bearcats won two of the three
doubles matches and five out of six singles contests to record
their second victory in the past 24 hours.
Edelman and Yulia
Smirnova each capped a 4-0 weekend with wins in both
their singles and doubles matches against the Scarlet Knights.
At No. 2 singles, Smirnova defeated Jennifer Holzberg 6-1, 4-6,
10-6. Edelman, meanwhile, swept Maryana Michutskey 6-0, 6-0 at
No. 4 singles.
At second doubles, Edelman and sophomore Marina
Bykovskaya won 8-1 over Milchutskey and Katherine Arlak.
Smirnova and sophomore Emma
Leibowicz beat Christine Tran and Leonora Slatnick 8-6
at third doubles.
In other singles action, sophomore Jillian
Santos was a 6-1, 4-6, 10-6 winner over Holzberg at the
No. 2 spot, Liebowicz won 6-2, 6-1 over Michelle Greene at the
No. 5 position and Bykovskaya downed Slatnick 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4)
at the No. 6 slot.
Up next for Binghamton is a 5 p.m. match at Niagara next Saturday.
1. Amy Zhang (RUTGERS) def. Lauren Bates (BING) 7-5,
2. Yulia Smirnova (BING) def. Jennifer Holzberg (RUTGERS) 6-1,
2. Jillian Santos (BING) def. Caitlin Baker (RUTGERS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Anna Edelman (BING) def. Maryana Milchutskey (RUTGERS) 6-0,
5. Emma Leibowicz (BING) def. Michelle Greene (RUTGERS) 6-2,
5. Marina Bykovskaya (BING) def. Leonora Slatnick (RUTGERS) 7-6
(4), 7-6 (4)
1. Zhang & Holzberg (RUTGERS) def. Bates & Santos (BING)
2. Edelman & Bykovskaya (BING) def. Arlak & Michutskey
3. Smirnova & Leibowicz (BING) def. Tran & Slatnick (RUTGERS)