Immediate Release: October 7, 2006
Contact: David O'Brian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
women's tennis defeats defending MAC champion Siena 6-1
N.Y.- Playing in its first dual match of the 2006-07 season,
the Binghamton women's tennis team gained a 6-1 road win over
Siena on Saturday afternoon. The Bearcats swept all three doubles
matches and captured five out of six singles matches against
a squad that won the MAC title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament
"We played very good today," head coach Mike Stevens
said. "We had some injuries but the people who played really
stepped up. Next week, we have some stiff competition (at the
Cornell Invitational) so this was an important win for us against
a very good Siena team."
In Binghamton's most dramatic win ove the day, sophomore Juliana
Umeki (Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil) came from 5-2 down in the
first set at No. 2 singles to defeat Taylor Barvotes 7-6, 6-3.
She also joined junior Gayarthri Balasundar (Syosset,
N.Y) at No. 3 doubles to defeat Karina Davis and Sugam Langer
8-3. Balasundar was also victorious at No. 6 singles, 6-2, 6-0
over Molly Scullin.
At No. 3 singles, freshman Erica Rosenblum (Albany, N.Y.)
defeated Davis 6-2, 6-2. She was also triumphant at No. 1doubles
with senior Zeynep Altinay (Ankara, Turkey), 8-1, against
Barvotes and Julia Lebedev. Rosenblum is now 7-0 in doubles play
Danyelle Shapiro (Boca Raton, Fla.) ran her singles record
to 6-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Lebedev at the No. 4 position.
She also teamed with junior Jenn Naegeli (Putnam Valley, N.Y.)
at No. 2 doubles to defeat Sarah Mayer and Jessica Ferrara 8-3.
Binghamton heads to the Cornell Invitational Oct. 14-15.
1. Sarah Mayer (S) def. Zeynep Altinay (B) 6-4, 3-6, 10-4
2. Juliana Umeki (B) def. Taylor Barvotes (S) 7-6, 6-3
3. Erica Rosenblum (B) def. Karina Davis (S) 6-2, 6-2
4. Danyelle Shapiro (B) def. Julia Lebedev (S) 6-0, 6-1
5. Jenn Naegeli (B) def. Sugam Langer (S) 6-1, 6-1
6. Gayarthri Balasundar (B) def. Molly Scullin (S) 6-2, 6-0
1. Altinay & Rosenblum (B) def. Barvotes & Lebedev (S)
2. Naegeli & Schapiro (B) def. Mayer & Ferrara (S) 8-3
3. Uemki & Balasundar (B) def. Davis and Langer (S) 8-3