Immediate Release: February 25, 2006
Contact: David O'Brian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Binghamton women's tennis defeats St. Bonaventure 6-1
OLEAN, N.Y. -- In its most convincing performance of the spring season, the Binghamton women's tennis team defeated St. Bonaventure 6-1 on Saturday afternoon in Olean, N.Y. The Bearcats swept all three doubles matches and captured five out of six singles matches to improve to 3-3 on the season in dual matches.
Freshman Juliana Umeki (Mogidas Cruises, Brazil) improved to 9-1 in singles matches since joining the squad last month. She won her match at No. 3 singles against Anna Martorell 6-0, 6-1. In dual matches, she is now a perfect 6-0.
Junior Zeynep Altinay (Ankara, Turkey), who had a pair of tough matches last weekend, bounced back with a 3-6, 6-2 (10-5) win over Anna Perevenzetseva at No. 1 singles. She is now 14-6 on the season.
Junior Jelena Koprivica (Belgrade, Serbia) improved to 13-7 with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Stephanie Fosnight at No. 2 singles. Fellow junior Lya Kushnirovich (Brooklyn, N.Y.) is now 18-8 following a 6-0, 6-3 triumph over Yolande Callaghan on No. 4 singles.
At No. 5 singles, sophomore Jenn Naegeli (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) defeated Ana Delgado 6-0, 6-1.
Binghamton heads to Niagara for a 6 p.m. match next Saturday.
1. Zeynep Altinay (BING) def. Anna Perevenzetseva (SB) 3-6, 6-2 (10-5)
2. Jelena Koprivica (BING) def. Stephanie Fosnight (SB) 6-2, 6-1
3. Juliana Umeki (BING) def. Anna Martorelli (SB) 6-0, 6-1
4. Lya Kushnirovich (BING) def. Yolande Callaghan (SB) 6-0, 6-3
5. Jenn Naegeli (BING) def. Ana Delgado (SB) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jasmine Jaysingh (SB) def. Gayarthri Balasundar (BING) 2-6, 6-1 (10-4)
1. Naegeli & Koprivica (BING) def. Perevenzetseva & Delgado (SB) 9-7
2. Umeki & Altinay (BING) def. Callaghan & Martorell (SB) 8-2
3. Balansundar & Kushnirovich (BING) def. Fosnight & Jaysingh (SB) 8-3
Sports Men: Baseball | Basketball | Cross Country | Golf | Lacrosse | Soccer | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Wrestling |
Sports Women: Basketball | Cross Country | Lacrosse | Soccer | Softball | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Volleyball |
No portion of this site may be reproduced or duplicated without the permission of Binghamton University.