Immediate Release: March 9, 2006
Contact: David O'Brian (email@example.com)
Women's tennis suffers first loss of season in 4-3 defeat by UMass
ITHACA, N.Y.-- Binghamton (6-1) suffered its first dual match loss of the season on Friday night, falling to Massachusetts (7-3) 4-3 at the Cornell Tennis Center. The Bearcats came into the match tied with the 1972-73 and 1987-88 Binghamton squads for the best dual match start in program history but were unable to garner their seventh straight triumph.
Senior Lya Kushnirovich (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and sophomore Juliana Umeki (Mogi de Cruises, Brazil) pulled out a 9-8 (9-7) win at first doubles but UMass won at second and third doubles to take the point.
From there, the two squads split the six singles matches but UMass was dominant at the top of the lineup, winning at first, third and fourth singles. Umeki rallied for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over de Jong at No. 2 singles, freshman Danyelle Shapiro (Boca Raton, Fla.) beat Dasa Stanimirovic 6-1, 6-0 at fifth singles and sophomore Nicole Scarangella (Massapequa, N.Y.) was leading 5-2 at sixth singles before her opponent retired.
Binghamton starts its conference schedule at Hartford on March 24 at noon.
1. Michele Spiess (UMASS) def. Zeynep Altinay (BING) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Juliana Umeki (BING) def. Ellen de Jong (UMASS) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Masha Pozar (UMASS) def. Lya Kushnirovich (BING) 7-5, 6-2
4. Maude Lecluyse (UMASS) def. Erica Rosenblum (BING) 6-4, 6-4
5. Danyelle Shapiro (BING) def. Dasa Stanimirovic (UMASS) 6-1, 6-0
6. Nicole Scarangella (BING) def. Stephanie Gimenez (UMASS) 5-2, ret.
1. Kushnirovich & Umeki (BING) def. Lecluyse & de Jong (UMASS) 9-8 (9-7)
2. Pozar & Spiess (UMASS) def. Altinay & Rosenblum (BING) 8-1
3. DiPiero & Murillo (UMASS) def. Naegeli & Scarangella (BING)
Sports Men: Baseball | Basketball | Cross Country | Golf | Lacrosse | Soccer | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Wrestling |
Sports Women: Basketball | Cross Country | Lacrosse | Soccer | Softball | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Volleyball |
No portion of this site may be reproduced or duplicated without the permission of Binghamton University.