Immediate Release: April 14, 2007
Contact: David O'Brian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Women's tennis gains 4-3 conference road win at UMBC
VESTAL, N.Y.-- Seniors Zeynep Altinay (Ankara, Turkey) and Lya Kushnirovich (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and sophomore Nicole Scarangella (Massapequa, N.Y.) each won their singles and doubles matches, leading Binghamton (12-2, 2-0 AE) to a crucial win at UMBC (10-5, 2-1 AE) on Saturday afternoon at the UMBC Tennis Complex. The Bearcats swept the three doubles matches and split the six singles matches for their third straight triumph.
Altinay, who improved her career singles record to 85-27, defeated Alice Chen 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 1 slot. In doubles play she joined freshman Erica Rosenblum (Albany, N.Y.) at the second slot to defeat Adriana Fonseca-Villarreal and Elizabeth Anderson 8-5.
Kushnirovich, meanwhile, defeated Joy Adewumi 6-3, 7-5 at second singles, improving her career singles mark to 82-31. At first doubles, she joined sophomore Juliana Umeki (Mogi de Cruises, Brazil) for an 8-6 win over Chen and Pascaline Cette.
Scarangella defeated Fonseca-Villarreal 6-4, 6-4 at fifth singles and teamed up with freshman Danyelle Shapiro (Boca Raton, Fla.) for an 8-6 win over Adewumi and Cornelia Carapcea at third doubles.
Binghamton is scheduled to head to Stony Brook on Sunday for a 1 p.m. match.
1. Zeynep Altinay (BING) def. Alice Chen (UMBC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Lya Kushnirovich (BING) def. Joy Adewumi (UMBC) 6-3, 7-5
3. Pascaline Cette (UMBC) def. Juliana Umeki (BING) 6-1, 6-4
4. Cornelia Carapcea (UMBC) def. Danyelle Shapiro (BING) 1-6, 7-5, 6-1
5. Nicole Scarangella (BING) def. Adriana Fonseca-Villarreal (UMBC) 6-4, 6-4
6. Barbara Couto (UMBC) def. Erica Rosenblum (BING) 6-4, 7-5
1. Umeki & Kushnirovich (BING) def. Cette & Chen UMBC) 8-6
2. Scarangella & Shapiro (BING) def. Anderson & Fonseca-Villarreal (UMBC) 8-5
3. Altinay & Rosenblum (BING) def. Adewumi & Carapcea (UMBC) 8-6
Sports Men: Baseball | Basketball | Cross Country | Golf | Lacrosse | Soccer | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Wrestling |
Sports Women: Basketball | Cross Country | Lacrosse | Soccer | Softball | Swimming and Diving | Tennis | Track and Field | Volleyball |
No portion of this site may be reproduced or duplicated without the permission of Binghamton University.