Release: April 10, 2010
Contact: David O'Brian (email@example.com)
women's tennis defeats UMBC 5-2
VESTAL, N.Y.-- Host Binghamton
(11-2, 1-0 AE) won all three doubles matches and four of the
six singles contests en rounte to 5-2 win over UMBC (12-6, 2-3
AE) in an America East women's tennis action at the West Gym
Courts on Saturday afternoon. With the victory, the Bearcats
have now won 17 straight regular season matches against conference
opponents, dating back to the start of the 2004-05 season.
Edelman and and sophomore Marina
Bykovskaya won 8-1 at first doubles against Alice Chen and
Heidi Danielsson. Edelman went on to beat Carmen Jackman 6-4,
4-6, 6-1 at second singles while Bykovskaya recorded a 6-3, 6-0
win over Danielsson at fifth singles.
At first singles, junior Lauren
Bates beat Chen 6-3, 7-5. She also joined sophomore Emma
Leibowicz for an 8-2 win at second doubles against Jackman
and Emily Mannix. Bates is now 69-26 all time in singles dual
matches and needs just one more win to become the third player
in school history with 70 career victories.
At third doubles, sophomore Jillian
Santos and junior Yulia
Smirnova won 8-2 over Lorena Valente and Barbara Couto. Smirnova
later beat Mannix 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (4) at fourth singles.
Four of the six singles matches went the full three sets with
each squad winning twice.
Binghamton hosts Temple on Sunday at 1:30 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE: Bates ranks third all time in program history
in career singles wins She trails Zeynep Altinay (2003-07), who
won 86 matches and Lya Kushnirovich (2003-07), who had 84 wins.
1. Lauren Bates (BING) def. Alice Chen (UMBC) 6-3, 7-5
2. Anna Edelman (BING) def. Carmen Jackman (UMBC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
3. Lorena Valente (UMBC) def. Jillian Santos (BING) 4-6, 6-3,
4. Yulia Smirnova (BING) def. Emily Mannix (UMBC) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6
5. Marina Bykovskaya (BING) def. Heidi Danielsson (UMBC) 6-3,
6. Barbara Couto (UMBC) defl Emma Leibowicz (BING) 4-6, 6-4,
1. Edelman & Bykovskaya (BING) def. Chen & Danielsson
2. Bates & Leibowicz (BING) def. Mannix & Jackman (UMBC)
3. Santos & Smirnova (BING) def. Valente & Cauto (UMBC)