Release: April 9, 2011
Contact: Kevin Solan (email@example.com)
women's tennis sweeps UMBC 7-0
Edelman matches Zeynep Altinay's single-season wins record (30)
BALTIMORE, Md. -- The Binghamton
University women's tennis team (8-8) posted its third straight
triumph with a 7-0 sweep over UMBC (8-8) Saturday afternoon.
Senior Anna Edelman matched the program's
all-time single-season wins record with 30, tying Zeynep Altinay's
feat set in 2004-05.
Edelman breezed to a 6-3, 6-0 victory at first singles, raising
her season record to 30-7, 12-4 in duals. The senior standout
posted 18 wins in tournament play during the fall season, highlighted
by the A Singles crown in the USTA National Tennis Center Invitational
and a runner-up finish at the ITA East Regional Championships.
Seniors Lauren Bates and Yulia
Smirnova posted a pair of straight-set wins at second and
third singles, respectively. Junior Jillian
Santos notched an impressive 6-2, 6-0 showing at fourth singles.
Classmate Marina Bykovskaya only
dropped two games in a 6-1, 6-1 victory at fifth singles. Junior
Emma Leibowicz rallied after dropping
the opening set to a third-set tiebreak win at sixth singles.
In doubles competition, BU featured a lineup change at the top
doubles spot en route to sweeping all three matches. Edelman
and Bates teamed up for an 8-0 win at first doubles.
The Bearcats are back in action Sunday against Boston University
at 10 a.m.
1. Anna Edelman/Lauren Bates (BU) def Carmen Jackman/Kim Berghaus
2. Jillian Santos/Yulia Smirnova (BU) def Julia Gragera-Cano/Kyri
Hadji (UMBC) 8-5
3. Marina Bykovskaya/Emma Leibowicz (BU) def Emily Mannix/Josefin
Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) 8-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Anna Edelman (BU) def Kim Berghaus (UMBC) 6-3,
2. Lauren Bates (BU) def Carmen Jackman (UMBC) 7-5, 6-0
3. Yulia Smirnova (BU) def Julia Gragera-Cano (UMBC) 7-5, 3-0
4. Jillian Santos (BU) def Emily Mannix (UMBC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Marina Bykovskaya (BU) def Heidi Danielsson (UMBC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Emma Leibowicz (BU) def Josefin Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) 2-6,
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6