Release: March 15, 2008
Contact: David O'Brian (email@example.com)
tennis wins 5-2 at Villanova for third straight triumph
VILLANOVA, Pa.-- Binghamton
(4-4) recorded its third straight road win, defeating Villanova
(5-7) 5-2 in a non-conference women's tennis match on Saturday
afternoon. The Bearcats swept the doubles points and won four
out of six singles matches.
Edelman (Great Neck, N.Y.) and Lauren
Bates (Buffalo, N.Y.) defeated Carla Erksine and Jaclyn
Williamson 8-0 at first doubles. Bates later defeated Williamson
6-0, 6-1 at second singles.
Smirnova (Great Neck, N.Y.) and sophomore Danyelle
Shapiro (Boca Raton, Fla.) won both their singles and
doubles matches. The tandem defeated Daniella Phillis and Courtney
Reed 8-4 at No. 2 doubles. Smirnova went on to defeat Lynsdey
Lostritto 6-1, 6-3 at third singles while Shapiro downed Reed
6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 singles.
Rosenblum (Albany, N.Y.) and senior Gayarthri
Balasundar (Syosset, N.Y.) won at third doubles against
Emily Urda and Natasha Stone 8-5. Balasundar also beat Katherine
Monari 6-4, 6-3 at sixth singles.
Binghamton hosts St. Bonaventure
at the Events Center on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.
NOTES: Edelman and Bates are 19-3 at No. 1 doubles. The
freshman duo is ranked No. 15 in the ITA East Region ... Bates
improves to 19-4 in singles play.
1. Emily Urda (V) def. Anna
Edelman (B) 7-5, 1-6, 10-5
2. Lauren Bates (B) def. Jaclyn Williamson (V) 6-0, 6-1
3. Yulia Smirnova (B) def. Lynsdey Lostritto (V) 6-1, 6-3
4. Danyelle Shapiro (B) def. Courtney Reed (V) 6-3, 6-4
5. Daniella Phillis (V) def. Erica Rosenblum (B) 6-2, 6-3
6. Gayathri Balasundar (B) def. Katherine Monari (V) 6-4, 6-3
1. Edelman & Bates (B)
def. Carla Erksine & Williamson (V) 8-0
2. Smirnova & Shapiro (B) def. Phillis & Reed (V) 8-4
3. Rosenblum & Balasundar (B) def. Stone & Urda (V) 8-5